New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

My Trunk and Subwoofer

Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Trunk and Subwoofer

Did some custom subwoofer install to my S. I did everything myself. It's an amateur job, as this is my first time building my own sub box. But I still love how it came out. It sounds fantastic too. The whole project cost me about 40 dollars. (Wood, Glue, Carpet, Caulk, Tape, Screws, sand paper.) Tools used? Circle Saw, Jig Saw, Screw Driver, Hammer, Clamp. Already had those so didn't have to buy any big tools.

This is my girlfriend helping me buy the supplies at Walmart. What a gal. =]

I plan on putting some decals on the glass.

Maybe a strobe light too. (J/K)
Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Pretty good I must say! I may eventually re-do my car and do something similar. It's stealth right now so you can't really tell anything is in the trunk!

How did you get the carpet to fit all around the trunk? I had to build mine in 3 pieces of wood to make it all fit. I kept my tool tray and incorporated a cross over in there so it doesn't sit flush.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 AM

Doesn't the plexiglass cover kill the bass or vibrate badly?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grovefromnh
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe cut some vents in the plexi glass. If you wanna get fancy cut an S2000 logo into the plexi glass and install some LED's to light it up...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
Pretty good I must say! I may eventually re-do my car and do something similar. It's stealth right now so you can't really tell anything is in the trunk!

How did you get the carpet to fit all around the trunk? I had to build mine in 3 pieces of wood to make it all fit. I kept my tool tray and incorporated a cross over in there so it doesn't sit flush.
I used one piece of car carpet replacement from Walmart. It's very easy to cut and mold into shape of the trunk. I'll have to take pictures to show what I did.

Nope. It's actually lexan, not plexi. But the way I built it was that the glass would not be mounted on the subwoofer itself. It's mounted on a piece of wood that sits over / surrounds the subwoofer. It's hard to explain. I'll have to take pictures of it when its out of the trunk,

Originally Posted by YoG628' timestamp='1305035998' post='20558459
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe cut some vents in the plexi glass. If you wanna get fancy cut an S2000 logo into the plexi glass and install some LED's to light it up...
I'll think about it =]
Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Depending on the venting you might have compression loaded the speaker. Basically meaning that it thinks it's in a bigger box than it really is by putting the lexan over the front of it. My shop did it by accident with an RX-7. Speakers pointed back or front it was loud but just ok. Point it up to the trunk lid and close it and HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT! It was the most amazing thing ever. Crack the trunk an inch and the bass dropped off by a good 30%!

I would be interested in seeing pictures. I might have to re-do my trunk(eventually). Or just re-carpet the trunk with a better more "bass transparent" material.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pinky
Depending on the venting you might have compression loaded the speaker. Basically meaning that it thinks it's in a bigger box than it really is by putting the lexan over the front of it. My shop did it by accident with an RX-7. Speakers pointed back or front it was loud but just ok. Point it up to the trunk lid and close it and HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT! It was the most amazing thing ever. Crack the trunk an inch and the bass dropped off by a good 30%!

I would be interested in seeing pictures. I might have to re-do my trunk(eventually). Or just re-carpet the trunk with a better more "bass transparent" material.

I do notice when the trunk is fully open that the bass is very faint, almost unnoticeable in the cabin.