New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

my rant. re: Myanmar

Old 05-09-2008, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my rant. re: Myanmar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080509/ap_on_...myanmar_cyclone

YANGON, Myanmar - Myanmar's junta seized U.N. aid shipments Friday meant for a multitude of hungry and homeless survivors of last week's devastating cyclone, forcing the world body to suspend further help.

The aid included 38 tons of high-energy biscuits and arrived in Myanmar on Friday on two flights from Bangladesh and the United Arab Emirates.

"All of the food aid and equipment that we managed to get in has been confiscated," U.N. World Food Program spokesman Risley said.

"For the time being, we have no choice but to end further efforts to bring critical needed food aid into Myanmar at this time," he said.

At least 62,000 people are dead or missing in Myanmar, entire villages are submerged in the Irrawaddy delta and aid groups warned that the area is on the verge of a medical disaster.
If this isn't a case of a government that needs to be overthrown by force, I don't know what is! It took them a week to accept aid and then will only take material aide and then confiscates it!

How can we as a country or the rest of the world sit idle and watch this country allow their own people to die? We have overthrown governments for issues much less than this!

That is all
Old 05-09-2008, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's no oil and the current administration does not care about human rights
Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,May 9 2008, 08:49 AM
I know.. which adds to the frustration. These people would actually be happy to see US millitary in their country providing aid!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,May 9 2008, 08:49 AM

Sad, isn't it?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be so closed minded.... There is a lot more to it than you appear to obviously know.

I know... because I'm here off the coast onboard USS MUSTIN providing that relief for Myanmar (Burma).

Yes it sucks, yes there is history there... and yes our hands were essentially tied by the dictatorship which wouldn't allow us in.

My point is, we're in now and doing what we can. We are focusing on the immediate solution. All the other issues can and will be delt with later.

Tim

LT Freeman
Supply Officer
USS MUSTIN DDG 89
Old 05-09-2008, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,May 9 2008, 05:49 AM
Please clarify WHO'S administration you are talking about....
Old 05-09-2008, 06:26 AM

The military regime controls the country with an iron hand. It constantly worry about its people learning "radical ideas" like Democracy and overthrow it.

From the regime's perspective, the aspects of having additional hundreds of thousands of people die is a far better than opening up their country to foreigners.

On the plus side, keeping their people down like like is the best way to ensure their power, cus people are too hungry or dead to overthrow them.

The regime doesn't care about its image, cus the courtry is isolated from the international community(by choice) anyway.

It can probably cut some deals with UN now by using their people as hostages.

As sick as it sounds, there is no down side for the regime.

This situation reminds me of a huge earhquake in China back in the days when Mao was in control of the country. To demonstrate how superior the communist China was, Mao refused international aid. As the result, more people die after the earthquake.....the total was like over 250 thousands. I wonder why some college here kids are still wearing cloths or carrying handbags with Mao's faces on them. Since when ruthless dictator has become fashionable is beyond me. Sorry, going onto a tangent here.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 AM

our's The Bush administration does not care about human rights.

They've proven this time and time again

btw it's pretty cool that you're posting while off shore
Old 05-09-2008, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,May 9 2008, 06:28 AM

I don't want to argue the politics of your statements because this is not the forum.

I am fortunate as a Department Head that I have access to internet regardless of the security level.

Google the ESG (Essex Strike Group) and you will see where we are and what our mission is in all of this.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,May 9 2008, 10:28 AM

They care as much as any other administration has. You can only care so much, especially when people don't want you there. Or maybe you'd prefer another Battle of Mogadishu like in Somalia? Clinton and his "humanitarian aid" ended up getting Americans killed, too. Maybe take a lesson and don't force the issue.

Quick Reply: my rant. re: Myanmar