New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

My New Challenge - Non S2K Related

Old 02-12-2002, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you already know, I was recently diagnosed with Non Small Cell Lung Cancer, Stage IV, and just started chemotherapy today. Stage 4 means that it is inoperable and has spread across both my lungs, originating from a tumor on my right lung. I plan to be as active as I have in the past with the people/meets/drives/ and events, as far as I can be. It is too early to tell what my prognosis will be and I have to avoid crowds and cant do any mechanical work that may involve getting a hand scraped or cut. Depending upon how things progress, I may have to ask for assistance or resign from my Board position as Events Director. I am so looking forward to some of the upcomg drives, like Asheville and Frank's road course, but probably will not know until the last minute if I can attend.
The general statistics for my disease is 85% chance of living 6-9 months and 15% chance of living 5 years or longer. My prognosis will not be known until 2 weeks after my second chemotherapy treatment, which will be 3-4 weeks from today. I will keep you posted on my progress.
To date, I have had an on/off cough for the past 3 months and finally went to see my Dr. I have undergone the following in the past 4 weeks, numerous chest x-rays, physical exams, CT scan, colonoscopy, ultrasound, ENT, thoracic surgery and bronchscopy....bottom line is every hole and one new hole has been probed in my body. They collapsed my left lung and removed 3 cups of fluid along with a bunch of nodules, the nodeuls were found to be cancerous by the Pathologist.
If it wasnt for my cough, I would have never even known I had anything wrong with me....I had a physical last September, a month before I had started coughing, and there were no apparent problems with me. All my blood tests and bone marrow is clean as is my other major organs, so far. I feel like I have a good chance of falling into that 15% group of surviviors. I dont smoke and live a relatively healthy life as far as eating and exercising.
I am not looking for sympathy and dont want you guys to treat me any differently, just to be aware so if you think you have a cold, try to avoid kissing me

Oh yeah, one more thing, I will probably lose what little hair I still have at some point and will become anemic, so, if see a weird bald looking guy driving a white S2000, its probably me.
Old 02-12-2002, 04:56 PM

I am still expecting you to come visit me in Taiwan 2 years later after i have done the military service there..!! We all know you will be fine..!!
Old 02-12-2002, 05:06 PM

I am making plans to visit you there, so you better be prepared, but you still cant kiss me
Old 02-12-2002, 05:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know what to say...I am really lost for words, which doesn't happen often.

You are a strong person and I don't think there is much I can say to further comfort you. I am sure you'll stick to your original plan of enjoying your remaining time, be that months or years - hopefully years. If you need any help maintenancing your car (oil change and such), just ask and I will be there. Can't say I'll walk on fire for you, but I'll crawl underneath the car for you.

Nice to see you are still in good spirit.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:12 PM

Fight it with everything you have. Rely on others for some strength. Kick this fu**ing thing in the teeth. You have a great attitude.

You will win.
Old 02-12-2002, 05:12 PM

For those that know me, I have a very positive attitude in life and will maintain that attitude no matter the results.....it's been a great experience meeting all the folks on this board and have developed some great friendships....its almost like a second family
Old 02-12-2002, 05:13 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by HopkintonMA
I am not looking for sympathy and dont want you guys to treat me any differently, just to be aware so if you think you have a cold, try to avoid kissing me

Oh yeah, one more thing, I will probably lose what little hair I still have at some point and will become anemic, so, if see a weird bald looking guy driving a white S2000, its probably me.
Some people say a bald man is sexy! With you driving the S your head will match the car in the sun!

Oh and what if we don't have a cold? PUCKER UP BABY!!!!
Old 02-12-2002, 05:17 PM

Jim,
Appreciate the offer....but I think I wll have to pass......now Redbullet, on the other hand, I wouldnt turn down that kind of offer
Old 02-12-2002, 05:22 PM

:-* sending you a kiss for you so that you feel better..
Old 02-12-2002, 05:37 PM

Dana,

I truly wish you the best with the treatment and if there is anything I can do to help you, please do not hesitate to ask. I'm only a few miles away. As s2kskibum has pointed out, you truly do have the right attitude and that will be your greatest asset in beating this.

John

Quick Reply: My New Challenge - Non S2K Related