New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

My first Winter with a softtop

Old 10-10-2001, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Winter with a softtop

Does anyone with an S and softtop not have a garage? What can I expect from the Winter? Should I go right out and get the hardtop before the snow hits? Excuse my ignorance, but it's my first convertible, and first Winter with one. Will she pull through all right, or do I need to take precautions? I will be driving my old car in the slush and such, but just wonder about damage to the S sitting out in the cold and snow. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can't justify the cost of a HT, have you considered just getting a car cover? I went through the car's 1st winter here with just the soft top. You DO NOT want the brush snow off the plastic window. I scratched mine real good. Also, when you get frost on the plastic window, there is nothing you can do the get it off. You can't scrap it off so you must just wait till the heater gets the inside warm enough to melt it off and since the frost is on the outside this can take a long time.
Old 10-10-2001, 09:38 AM

woodyandy,

I live in NJ and last winter was my first in a ragtop. First, don't even think about driving in the snow with S02s...real bad idea. If you need to drive it in the snow, go out and get snow tires. Like yourself, I have a daily driver and use it in bad weather.

I have an all weather car cover from California Car Covers. This way, when you brush the snow off the car, you never touch the paint. Also, make sure you clean the snow off the ragtop as soon as possible. The weight of heavy snow might deform the roof. As long as you keep the car free from road salt, your baby should be fine. Try to take it to a self-service car-wash whenever the temp rises above freezing.

--Greg
Old 10-10-2001, 04:53 PM

well, you will only make the bottom of your car looks like mine "rusty" ... hehehe, well, since I bought a shitty used car for winter, I don't need to drive my S2K in the winter.... huh, since you live in New England area, I could offer you the garage... just give me the key for the winter... if the bottom of the car still get rusty and have more mileage... remember, that wouldn't be me who makes it happen... Just kidding..!!

Still, I wouldn't recommend to drive this car in the winter unless you have to... Right? Dan?? Francis drives his NSX for the winter, so, you know how can Francis drive if he is in a WRX..!! So that way you could keep your car look like new(the bottom) just like Dana's

However, welcome to the New England fourm... Or, maybe you were before me...just didn't show up for a while...huh?
Old 10-11-2001, 01:53 PM

I'm in the same situation. bought winter rubber but haven't transferred yet and a weathershield cover from one of our sponsors. It won't go out much and my only real concern is the undercarriage as mentioned, but then again, I wouldn't imagine it's any more succeptible to the elements than any other car. It will be sprayed off at every opportunity.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:31 PM

The most important thing in the winter for the S2000 (should you chose to drive it) are snow tires.

Beyond that, try to coat any nut/bolts under the car with WD40 - even though they are initially rust resistant, they will eventually rust.

Then, just be careful and hope you have fast reflexes if driving in the snow or in areas of potential black ice - trust me - I've been there
Old 10-13-2001, 08:56 AM

Obsessed with S and boards!

Had a dream last night that it was the middle of winter and due to my negligence of not greasing top contact points, the drivers side front and side interior had an inch of snow between top and car and I was sitting in a pile of snow on the driver's seat.

I thought, "those guys were right, shoulda used the shinitsu!"

Too funny or what???

Chaz01
Old 10-13-2001, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by chaz01
Obsessed with S and boards!

Had a dream last night that it was the middle of winter and due to my negligence of not greasing top contact points, the drivers side front and side interior had an inch of snow between top and car and I was sitting in a pile of snow on the driver's seat.

I thought, "those guys were right, shoulda used the shinitsu!"

Too funny or what???

Chaz01
Maybe it is not only a dream...!! evil laugh..~
Old 10-13-2001, 09:10 AM

Just finished order with H and A.
Old 10-13-2001, 12:17 PM

What's up guys! This is my first time you might see me here.
I'm concerned about how cold it gets in the car w/ the soft top.

Quick Reply: My first Winter with a softtop