New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

My first New England winter...

Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Oct 15 2007, 09:01 PM
Paul,

I have a GREAT solution for you. Buy a condo in Needham and walk to work during the winter.

PM me if you need a Realtor who knows Needham inside & out.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

To PaulModz;

You live in the city. Get a beater. Put the S in storage.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love taking the S out in the winter. I recommend the Toyo Snowprox. I had those last winter and will be putting them on again this winter. heres some pics from last winter that shows you that you can have fun in the S.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:46 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Oct 15 2007, 11:40 PM
To PaulModz;

Get a beater. Put the S in storage.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Wow, thanks for the huge response folks. After reading your responses and doing a little more research, I
Old 10-16-2007, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thomas aka Thehoth is a new england member that upgraded to a 911 however he still haS his snow tire / rim package left over

these things are like brand new - i'll get you the sizes later today - these are aftermaket allloy wheels (look great) and you want smaller than OEM snow tires on your car for winter (i used 01 rims and snows on my 04)

again - i am also willing to store your summer set and will help you with the swap if you purchase thomas' tires and rims

from tire rack

Alloy vs. Steel Wheels in Winter Tire & Wheel Packages
When creating a Winter Tire & Wheel Package you can choose either an aftermarket alloy wheel or a steel wheel for your vehicle.

Use the descriptions below to help determine the best choice for you.

Alloy Wheels
Enhance the look of your vehicle
Are manufactured to precise standards to meet exact fitment and performance needs
Weigh less than steel wheels and have superior strength
May be the preferred option for your vehicle based on fitment requirements
Will allow for better brake clearance (depending on wheel style and brake components installed)
Require proper maintenance as finish damage may result in the harshest winter climates where salt and sand are routinely used

Steel Wheels
Meet the basic needs of drivers who want the convenience of a winter tire package without the additional cost of an alloy wheel
Typically available in black or silver finish depending on the application
Basic styling can often be updated with wheel covers
Cost less than alloy wheels due to ease of manufacturing and lower material costs
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 AM

Mine is a DD and I do just fine with winter tires and wheels.

I store my tires at Direct Tire in Watertown. It is currently $85 per season to store. they do the swap included in the price of the storage.

I also purchased my tires and wheels from them. It was more expensive but I wanted to stay with a local for this kind of work.

Last winter was very mild so it was not a good comparison, but once the temps keep below 40 degrees you want winter tires. The summer tire's rubber compound is not good under that temp and makes for dangerous driving.

Getting a beater is an option but I felt it was too expensive to swing with a kid in college who is driving my winter beater to commute.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:06 AM

[QUOTE=PaulModz,Oct 16 2007, 05:24 AM] Wow, thanks for the huge response folks.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't put weight in the trunk. It has been my experience that the S has very little problem getting traction with a quality snow tire, but it still has a tenancy to over steer. This propensity will only increase with added weight in the ass of the car. The only time I had problems in the snow in my S was when driving up a moderate hill with pavement that sloped mildly to the left, covered with very slick, packed snow/ice. The back end kept kicking out to the left when I applied power. Other that that, she's a warrior with Michelin X-Ice tires. The car is very balanced, predictable, and easy to control in the snow.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here you go..

again these are thomas' - and i'm sure others will agree when i say they are like NEW...

$550.00 and they are in Braintree

Quick Reply: My first New England winter...