New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

My first New England winter...

Old 10-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heck - if he purchased thomas set for 550.00 - i'd store the wheels for free (plenty of room) and i'd supervise the swap - we all know i should not be within 100 yards of a floor jack
Old 10-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take your pick

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56042
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41027
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=68700
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153489
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=347803

and here is a sliding story

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=333091
Old 10-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Got to keep in mind how nasty our weather can be and how it can last for weeks at a stretch.

IF you are trying to stay off wet roads in temps under 40 degrees, and you have no other vehicle accessible to you, you could be without wheels for weeks on end, come December, January and February...you just can't trust New England weather, it could be nice out in the AM, and turn to ##$% just as you head home from work.

Get a beater if you can, if not, get the winter/snow tires.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jtpassat,Oct 15 2007, 08:13 PM
didn't I use this condition for the hockey puck reference??
no, you said "<40" without reference to wetness.

Don't get me wrong, I advocate winter tires for all the reasons stated above. Except I do not buy that cars begin to slide off the road in dry weather when the person is not driving aggresively. All the threads about people crashing I believe they were pushing the car just a bit too hard for the conditions at the time. Do I have evidence? No. But I drove a whole winter on S02 and through a blizzard with UHP tires and haven't crashed. I am no different than anyone else except I know I didn't push my car in the cold weather.

Bottom line is the guy needs his car as a daily driver so he needs it every day rain or shine and therefor NEEDS winter tires or a beater.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Oct 15 2007, 07:42 PM
no, you said "<40" without reference to wetness.

Don't get me wrong, I advocate winter tires for all the reasons stated above. Except I do not buy that cars begin to slide off the road in dry weather when the person is not driving aggresively. All the threads about people crashing I believe they were pushing the car just a bit too hard for the conditions at the time. Do I have evidence? No. But I drove a whole winter on S02 and through a blizzard with UHP tires and haven't crashed. I am no different than anyone else except I know I didn't push my car in the cold weather.

Bottom line is the guy needs his car as a daily driver so he needs it every day rain or shine and therefor NEEDS winter tires or a beater.
I agree.. but you know sh!t happens and accidents aren't called accidents because you did it on purpose.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:48 PM

True, I am just making the argument for the sake of it
Old 10-15-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Oct 15 2007, 07:48 PM
True, I am just making the argument for the sake of it
me too... like i said.. dead horse
Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by jtpassat,Oct 15 2007, 08:44 PM
I agree.. but you know sh!t happens and accidents aren't called accidents because you did it on purpose.
Did you know that in MA they changed the term to "crash" reports instead of "accident" reports? I have wondered why they changed it, but they did. I bet the insurance compaines are behind it somehow...
Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 PM
mas

I have driven the S as my daily driver for the last 5 years. I think I hold the record for driving most miles in snow, including up to 2 hours one way commute at one point.

My $0.02:

1- If you can manage a beater, it is the best option. This is what I am planning to do this year now that I have room to park another car.

2- Extra wieght in the car does help, just make sure to spread it around - trunk and passenger side floor.

3- Snow tires are expensive and in my experience don't last very long, the tread will still be there but they will loose their snow performance once the tread is 50% worn. There might be exceptions to this, I'm not an expert just speaking from experience.

4- Driving the S in winter with stock tires is just plain ....... Yes, you can be ok if you drive like grandma when the roads are clear, but other drivers around you will not be driving like you and you may need to break or turn all of a sudden and the car could loose control. The other issue is that while you may find that major roads are all clear and you can take the car out but can still come across a parking lot or some back road that has snow/ice and you can get stuck.

If you decide to get snow tires, try directtire, they offer free tire chagneovers with purchase of snow tires and even provide storage for your second set of tires for a bit extra.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:01 PM

Paul,

I have a GREAT solution for you. Buy a condo in Needham and walk to work during the winter.

PM me if you need a Realtor who knows Needham inside & out.

Quick Reply: My first New England winter...