New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Moving out east

Old 05-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving out east

So lately I've been considering moving out of Western Mass and closer to the Boston area. The stress of finding another job in that area is the only thing holding me back though. Not to mention my girlfriend is currently the assistant director of Res Life here at Mount Holyoke College and we get free housing. I'm just not happy living here anymore. 27 years of this area has just worn me down. Should I just suck it up and deal or give up a great situation here for self happiness? Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM

You're young, if you've got free living, try and bank as much $$$ as possible so when you do decide on moving you'll be in a better financial situation.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by JSWhaler
You're young, if you've got free living, try and bank as much $$ as possible so when you do decide on moving you'll be in a better financial situation.
Definitely!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,647 Posts

I can understand the need for a change, but what are you looking for to be different?

longer lines? more traffic? higher cost of living?
Nowhere to go stretch the legs of your car now and then?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I can understand the need for a change, but what are you looking for to be different?

longer lines? more traffic? higher cost of living?
Nowhere to go stretch the legs of your car now and then?
That's the other thing that is on my mind. Part of me feels like I'm more in love with the idea of living out there than I am the reality of living there. But something's gotta give eventually. Boston may not be the answer, but something is ... I think.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the things that make you unhappy? List them out and we can help find ways to cope whether it involve moving or not.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:45 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

What is the situation with the girl friend? Is the relationship solid? Is she happy living where you are? What is your current job situation?

Cost of living in/near Boston is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Lots to think through.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 AM

Yes I couldnt imagine living near boston. Crowded, high traffic, high costs, too muhc hussle and bustle.

Your situation sounds great, free living, bank the cash, then move later in life somewhere you really want to go. Maybe save some of that cash for an engagement ring
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

No one lives in Boston, it's too crowded (note sarcasm).

I would say get the job first. It might be a bit of a pain to drive into town for interviews, but it is way better than moving here and then wondering if you can find work.

You don't need to live in Boston to enjoy it. Many folks work in the city and take public transportation in and out. If you get a place near the T in one of the many suburbs you can easily get to the city and home at night.

Boston is a walking city. It is not the greatest place for a car. If you want to live in the city, try to find some place else to keep your car. If you live in one of the nearby suburbs, it is easier to have a car and, again, you can uses the T for the daily commute.

Boston has a ton of stuff to do from free to $$$. Yeah, if you are young you kind of owe it to yourself to give it a try.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boston is not the ideal place for raising a family nor does it make financial sense given the cost for 3 bedroom apartment/condo. Outside of assisted housing, those that live right in the city are typically either young people between 18-30 (like you) and empty-nesters. If you want to experience Boston, now is the time to do it and get it out of your system before you have kids.

Quick Reply: Moving out east