New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Looking for someone with snow experience

Old 11-20-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Looking for someone with snow experience

I figured you guys back east have plenty of experience with driving in the snow, thus my post.

I have not driven my S2K in snow yet, but plan on doing so for ski trips up to the local resorts here in Northern California. As such, I figured I'd ask you "experts" who have to deal with the white and slippery stuff every winter and see what you recommend for snow tires, chains, and any quirks about the S2K in snow conditions.

Thanks in advance... :-)
Old 11-20-2006, 09:11 AM

Well, I am not a hardcore snow driver like Chazmo, whom I am sure can help you better than me. But, I can say that the car simply will not even get rolling on OEM rubber if there is even a dusting of snow on the ground. Snowies will be a must for your plans.

Also, since the car is set up with almost perfect 50/50 weight ratio, I don't think weight in the trunk is needed and actaly may hurt. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup Jeff is right.. dedicated snow tires are a MUST but the car does great in the snow (drove my old one year round) just stay out of v-tec and you'll be fine

lm-22s or ws-50s are great snow tires
Old 11-20-2006, 09:50 AM

I drove last winter w/ some WS-50's.....it was fine. They are pretty good about plowing the roads here in maine. As long you don't push the car you'll be just fine
Old 11-21-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F-16JockS2K,Nov 20 2006, 09:05 AM
I figured you guys back east have plenty of experience with driving in the snow, thus my post.

I have not driven my S2K in snow yet, but plan on doing so for ski trips up to the local resorts here in Northern California. As such, I figured I'd ask you "experts" who have to deal with the white and slippery stuff every winter and see what you recommend for snow tires, chains, and any quirks about the S2K in snow conditions.

Thanks in advance... :-)
If you're just going on a few weekend tahoe runs, skip the tires/chains/etc.

Just rent a car...seriously.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:00 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes just rent or borrow a car!

If you do drive in the snowy stuff..........get snow tires OEM's is not just asking but WILL bring trouble and an accident.

Then finally if you do run snow tires I would suggest 50LB's in the trunk a couple flat 25 pound weights are great on top of the tool tray to give some rear bias to the tires.

50/50 is good but a little more over the rear tires will help plant them when driving.

JUST TAKE A DIFFERENT VEHICLE!
Old 11-24-2006, 05:29 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Nov 20 2006, 01:11 PM
I can say that the car simply will not even get rolling on OEM rubber if there is even a dusting of snow on the ground. Snowies will be a must for your plans.

You can not risk be stranded or crashing if you are driving to an alpine area in OEM tires. I do drive my S2000 year round in S03's, but ANY snow, dusting, or ice and the car is useless.

I once drove at the first flakes of a snow storm and they car was sliding so much, the only reason I did not get in an accident was because I was the only car on the road. When pressed the brakes, the car would slide right past stop signs. I couldn't get it out of first without crazy fish tails.

Snow wheels/tires are a must for your situation. Although I drive my car year round on OEM's, my driving is limited to around town and when I see fit to drive it.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 AM

I have only had my S for one winter but i went off the road twice with my regular tires and snapped my front lip in 3 places and the car really isnt heavy enough for snow tires. I recommend leaveing it at home.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:38 PM

if you plan to take it to the mountains, do yourself a favor and listen to everyone else here.. rent another car.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

it actually pretty amazing how bad the stock s-02 s are in snow.
they just plain give up in a quarter inch of snow.

Quick Reply: Looking for someone with snow experience