New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Looking to add to the family

Old 02-18-2010, 06:40 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

^Sounds like the Sharky video.

I have rescued a dog before and I can tell you, she had some issues. I loved her, and she was ok, but you had to watch her around kids. And she had some health problems that sort of explained why she ended up at the shelter. Of course, no one told me about those problems when I adopted her.

If I were to get another dog, I would still go to the shelter first, but I would also look at puppies from breeders before making up my mind.

My son bought his puppy from some shady character that probably would have used the puppy as a bait dog to train fighting pit bulls. There is more than one way to resuce a dog.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHARKY!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two words: Shelter and Rescue.

My best friend writes a blog and yesterday's entry was about taking in shelter dogs. Paul's blog. You'll need to scroll down to the entry of the 17th.

Our three have been from shelters or rescues and one is a pure bred Bichon Frise who was "too demanding" of the four families that had him in his first two years. On Monday,we tranported a dog from the local "pound" to a dog officer near Boston (which would have a better chance of getting the dog adopted) and they had a pure bred Cairn Terrier. The local place had a purebred Boston Terrier and a ridgeback mix. Any decent shelter will give a dog a temperament test before putting him up for adoption. Sadly, many don't make it, but those that do will be identified as fit for your family and lifestyle, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect. They will come already spayed or neutered, saving you that expense down the road, and you'll have a pretty good idea of the general health.

Judy has volunteered for years at the MSPCA (until it closed) and now both a private shelter and the regional pound. She really didn't like the work of dealing with puppies. Clean the cage, walk them, put them back in, oops, gotta clean the cage again.

Dogs and cats...different but equal.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

SO I added to the family!

Yellow male Lab... Lazy as heck just sleeps and sleeps right now... My wife and I should enjoy it while it lasts!

His name is Nate

Looking at shelters but not having much luck in finding a puppy and that is where I really wanted to start with so my wife got that experience. So I found a few breeders with the help of you guys and gals, but end up with a breeder through my parents, the breeder that bred their Cocker Spaniel also does Labs and Goldens. My parents dog has been very healthy so I had no concerns going with them. She breeds them for temperament to be more like a family dog then a field dog and man does it show. He is not phased in the least by noises, nephew banging toy cars and yelling, just watched calmly. Vacuuming, just watched as I did it, even inches from his face and he didn't blink... Our cats are freaking out right now though, Nate just looks at them and turns the other way. Very little crying, slept all through the night, only cried when he had to go out.

Eating well and not having any issues with eliminating, only had one incident in the house so far. Goes to the Vet on Tuesday, but the breeder had him checked out on Thursday during his last round of shots and came back with a clean bill of health.

Very excited to have a new pup and looking forward to having him grow with my family!

Chillin' with my mom.

He's got a tongue on him!

He's not to fussy this is all he pretty much as done
Old 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,667 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverS2kF22C1,Apr 25 2010, 03:46 PM
He's got a tongue on him!
and nice shiny pointy baby teeth, wait 'til he starts gnawing at you with those... ouch.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 3,207 Likes on 1,857 Posts

He's adorable! Too bad they grow up..........kind of like kids.

Congrats to the family!