New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Looking to add to the family

Old 02-17-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Looking to add to the family

So my wife is finally going to let me get a dog . She has been fighting it tooth and nail for a while. I grew up with dogs and know what kind of companionship they offer and have missed that part in my life for the past 4 years or so. My wife on the other hand did not and seems to have a fear of having a dog until she recently had a change of heart after watching way too much animal planet I guess and listening to the dog owners talk about the dogs...

So I am a bit excited at the prospect of getting a dog.

I really would like a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but the dog would be a bit much for my wife, not nearly as friendly as a Labrador or a Golden Retriever, and may be a bit more "active", and stubborn, even if trained well. Her first dog is going to be a good sized one so I figure it needs to be a bit friendlier and attentive.

So I am willing to bend on the breed and go with a Labrador, I like them just fine and have never met a Lab that wasn't friendly. Heck when I moved in to my current home the black Lab across the street just came over with a ball and wanted to play fetch unprovoked!

So does anyone know of a good breeder in the area (ie... NH, VT, CT, RI, MA, I'm not afraid to go for a bit of a drive )? I am not interested in having a show dog, but a pure bred from a healthy line is ideal. We are looking for the May June time frame to get a puppy but sooner is ok too. Primarily interested in male dogs, the color is still up for debate, I have liked chocolates and yellows, my wife likes yellows...

Any help is appreciated
Old 02-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save one!!! don't buy one

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

""The HSUS estimates that animal shelters care for between 6-8 million dogs and cats every year in the United States, of whom approximately 3-4 million are euthanized. At this time The HSUS can only estimate these figures because there is no central data reporting agency for animal shelters.

This overpopulation of companion animals is widely acknowledged across the country by professionals and experts in the animal welfare field. Overpopulation is a tragedy. There are simply not enough responsible homes for all of these wonderful, innocent animals. "
Old 02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,668 Likes on 859 Posts

^^^ Get a rescue dog. Don't support the puppy mills. You won't regret it.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are so many dogs in shelters, why not adopt? We have a pound puppy who's 10 years old now and he's just the best (english pointer-lab or pit mix who knows). He loves everyone and is just a baby - couldn't ask for a better tempermant. I know you have your heart set on a lab but there are plenty of lab mixes that all need homes. Please don't discount them because they aren't purebreds. One thing to remember is with a mutt you don't have to deal with many of the breed inherent issues purebreds have. Please just consider it!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 PM

Received 3,207 Likes on 1,857 Posts

I'd go with a yellow lab or a black lab, but not the brown. For some reason, the brown labs seem to be more hyper. Maybe it's the way they are raised that makes the difference, I don't know. I know my boss has a black lab that often comes to work with him. that dog, and I'm not that dog crazy. A friend's daughter has a brown lab and it got kicked out of doggie day care (too aggressive??!!) and is a PIA, neurotic, crotch sniffing dog....I hate that.

Does it have to be a puppy or could you get one from one of those places that "rescues"
dogs from people who have to give up the dog due to moving, aging, etc.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 PM

Gene!!!!

Couldn't agree more!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Lainey - there are some thoughts behind color and tempermant with labs - not sure how much of that is true. Labs are a sporting dog and require a lot of exercise and must be kept busy or they will busy themselves. Unfortunately many of the popular breeds have been overbred or inbred and the result is not pretty - behaviorial issues, health issues, etc. I went to a dog training class with a friend the other night and there were three labs - all were beyond off the wall. We considered a lab but there were better options for us.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by S@Heart,Feb 17 2010, 07:36 PM
Lainey - there are some thoughts behind color and tempermant with labs - not sure how much of that is true. Labs are a sporting dog and require a lot of exercise and must be kept busy or they will busy themselves. Unfortunately many of the popular breeds have been overbred or inbred and the result is not pretty - behaviorial issues, health issues, etc. I went to a dog training class with a friend the other night and there were three labs - all were beyond off the wall. We considered a lab but there were better options for us.
They can be very hyper. The brown lab is so bad that our friend's mother who loves dogs won't dog sit her granddaughter's dog, nor will the Dad of the girl.

On the other hand, my boss' lab is so good, that I almost offered to dog sit when he was on vacation but I figure my cat would have freaked. There aren't too many dog's I'd offer to dog sit....

Labs can take a longgggggg time to settle down.

that mixed breeds often make the best pets!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not opposed to rescuing a dog, but I really would like to give my wife the experience of starting with a puppy (all my dogs in my life started that way, none where ever given up) that she hasn't had.

But I certainly don't want a puppy mill dog, that's why I am interested in finding a reputable breeder. Pure breeds certainly can have congenial issues primarily hip displaysia and retinal problems. But strong family tree that is free from those issues usually reduces the chances of having issues with that litter. A good breeder can show the family tree and usually offers some guarantee for the health issues if they appear in a normal time frame (few years) because they believe in the breeding choices made. A puppy mill or the like won't...

I know there are tons of great breads out there, but a pure Lab has been a breed that has always been at the top of my list. I have grown up with a springer spaniel, cocker spaniel, malamute, scottish dog (can't recall the breed, but a medium to large dog), and several mutts.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM

The experience of a puppy is kinda like the experience of a baby. They are really cute, but there will be lots of pee and poop...you sure you want to go there?

Quick Reply: Looking to add to the family