New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Living Locations?

Old 12-02-2006, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living Locations?

Can you tell I'm a bit bored this morning? Well for up for discussion... I've been talking with my wife lately about where we plan on settingly down. We aren't 100% sure on living in CT, mostly due to the high costs, taxes, (I'm getting sick of the cars' property taxes of $2k+ each year) etc. We're entertaining the idea of moving somewhere else in about 2-3 years, but figured it can't hurt to start looking for locations now.
We would like to stay within a four hour drive of our immediate families (mine CT, hers NY). What are your thoughts. Looking for a nice town with good school systems etc. We figure we should be able to get job in this new area as well, me being a teacher, her being a therapist. Just wondering on possible loactions & reason's why you like it there?

I've mentioned NH to her because I have family in Portsmouth, but I fear that area might be on the pricey side. Thoughts...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:08 AM

I know where you're coming from about CT taxes, they are out of control. I grew up in Southington so I'm used to getting bent over the table for my car taxes every year.

I've recently (within 3 months) moved up to Mass. and while I can't speak for property taxes because I don't own anything, I can tell you that sales taxes are cheaper up here. Unfortunately I think wherever you go in the Northeast will be pretty expensive.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:57 AM

At least in NH there's no state income tax or sales tax. I think property taxes are higher though. I'm sure someone who's actually lived there will chime in soon.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:35 AM

I don't think I'll ever leave New England. I lived in NYC until I was twenty seven. Everytime I went on vacation I went for a job interview because I couldn't wait to leave. I lived in Florida for two years and kept looking for a house with New England archetecture. Since we moved to CT, no matter where my travels have taken me I can't wait to get home. I know it's expensive but, for us, it's worth a few sacrifices to live here.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Not enough info for me to give an opinion. I'm willing to pay more to get more. Big city, public transportation, entertainment, culture restaurants, museums, shows, high paying jobs, and property value appreciation are all important for me. Places that are cheap to live in are that way for a reason. You are making some kind of trade off. I guess I'd want to know what it is that you don't mind living without. If you are all about the outdoors and think that Applebees is where you'd like to have Saturday night dinner for the next 10 years then there are plenty of great places where you can go.

People do like Portsmouth. I have been there a few times and it is classic small town America with a little modern culture thrown in. If that is too expensive for you... I'm not sure what you are expecting around here. I was going to suggest Providence, but that may offer more than you want at a price you can't afford.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Central MA isn't a bad compromise. Where I grew up in NY, the property taxes are now triple (or more) what they are out here. Housing prices have definitely risen around here in the last few years, but not as badly as many other places. Plus, we're looking at something of a housing bust over the next year or so (I predict).

In any case, Karen and I moved (back) here from silicon valley in CA so we could afford to live and raise a family on one income. That just wasn't going to be possible out there.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Dec 2 2006, 11:36 AM
Not enough info for me to give an opinion. I'm willing to pay more to get more. Big city, public transportation, entertainment, culture restaurants, museums, shows, high paying jobs, and property value appreciation are all important for me. Places that are cheap to live in are that way for a reason. You are making some kind of trade off. I guess I'd want to know what it is that you don't mind living without. If you are all about the outdoors and think that Applebees is where you'd like to have Saturday night dinner for the next 10 years then there are plenty of great places where you can go.

People do like Portsmouth. I have been there a few times and it is classic small town America with a little modern culture thrown in. If that is too expensive for you... I'm not sure what you are expecting around here. I was going to suggest Providence, but that may offer more than you want at a price you can't afford.
with basically all of this. You will pay dearly to be anywhere near Beantown. Central MA, though, is an hour or less into Boston. Worcester, while one freakin' weird city, does have some good restaurants and places to shop.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:34 AM

I think this was brought up with my wife and I because we were getting a bit discouraged when we were looking at houses around here in CT. 3 bed, 1 bath, 1 car garage $320k. We want something a bit bigger than this but then the price jumps to $350's or so.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:52 AM

I agree with JS Whaler about CT. Everything costs more than it should. I grew up in NYC, so this is cheaper than that, but housing, taxes and utilities all are in the top few percent nationally. Although I know there are more expensive places to live, I'm not sure we are getting what we pay for here. Throw in the crappy weather and I'm ready to move too. I've been thinking about Maryland or Delaware or maybe some parts of Pennnsylvania.

Yeah, Connecticut is convenient to cultural and social activiyties as LegalBill points out, but how much of that do I really use and how much worse are other civilized places?

CT is one of the few states in the nation that has lost population over the last five years. CT is also near the bottom nationally in retaining graduates from local colleges. There is a good reason for that.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:07 AM

Not all of CT has overly high taxes. I live in Fairfield and the taxes here are quite reasonable. My house is worth a little over $500k on 1/3 of an acre in town, 2.5 miles from the beach. I have a small cape around 1500sq/ft above ground and 550sq/ft below in a finished basement that i'm still finishing . The value should go up another $50k after my kitchen is done, and even more when the outside kitchen and basement are complete. I just got re-assesed and my taxes went up to $4400 a year. My car taxes on the S are $320/yr and $275/yr on the Escape and $130/yr on the Integra.

I am 1 hour out of NYC (Manhattan) by train or car. I'm close to a lot of culture and Fairfield was recently named the 9th best place to live in the US.

However, the downside is Fairfield is expensive to buy into but you won't lose money here...my parents bought here in 2000 for $250k, and their house is worth $600k. You would find a house that needs some care and updating for $325k-400k depending on size and location. Another good location to look in CT is shelton. The town has the 2nd lowest taxes in Ffld County and you can new contruction for $350k for 1800-2000sq-ft.

Just some options.

Quick Reply: Living Locations?