New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

JEFF! FU AND THE HORSE WITH NO SNOW TIRES

Old 12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,017 Likes on 2,675 Posts

or you could change on demand like steve
Old 12-13-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Jeff, if you have a 4X4, all seasons will do. But the if you drive the S2K daily, snows are probably a necessity, if anything just to be on the safe side. What I dislike about snows is that you have to switch them every season, but since I have an Accord for a daily driver, all seasons stay on my S2K all season. Thank god I convinced Vinney to get snows for the winter, think he'll be thanking me tonight when he heads off to work.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Dec 13 2007, 09:01 PM
or you could change on demand like steve

Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Summers and snow tires on dedicated wheels: accept no substitute! Plus, no extra cost at all. If you are going to keep your car long enough to go through two sets of tires, all you are doing is buying the second set in year one instead of year two or three.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 PM

I have on snows and got stuck trying to get on the main rd from my office. The road meets the main rd at a light but it's on about a 20 degree incline. One of my co-workers had to put some weight on the back of the s2k so I could get going. Other than that the car performed awesome. I had to move my brother's car (a Civic Si HB) with brand new All-Season Kuhmo's and could definitely tell the difference. It's nice to have more control so I'd say the snows are well worth it.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,017 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Dec 13 2007, 11:19 PM
Summers and snow tires on dedicated wheels: accept no substitute! Plus, no extra cost at all. If you are going to keep your car long enough to go through two sets of tires, all you are doing is buying the second set in year one instead of year two or three.
amen brother amen
Old 12-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Snow tires ftw. Maybe they are only a necessity a few times a year. But it's nice to feel safe and secure those few times
Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Dec 13 2007, 07:23 PM
May basis on thinking that snows are a waste is this:

Yes, snow tires would have made your commute easy today. It MAY snow 5-10 more times this season where the snows would help again. For me, since I have access to other vehicles that don't need snow tires, spending hundreds of dollars on tires I only really NEED for 5-10 days a year is a waste. If I had unlimited funding to buy them, I would still say they are a waste. All season tires are good in the same low temperatures as the snowies, and are equal or better in wet weather. Plus, they have more than enough grip for even the most spirited drives anyone not on crack is likely to do, even at places like the dragon. Which, BTW, you will find no road that will even remotely push your car like the dragon can around here.

So, personally, I am not seeing the value and waste of time switching over every year, plus having to store the spares. If I lived in Vermont or Maine, maybe...

All police cruisers come with goodyear eagle RS-A tires. They are all-seasons. They are fine on every day of the year except for the 5-10 days when we use chains for a few hours to get around. I would bet my paycheck that these all season tires are pushed harder and more aggressively in freezing cold/wet/icy conditions on a daily basis than most of the high performance summer tires are pushed on S2000's in the summer. I drive VERY aggressively out of nessecity all the time, all year long on all seasons and haven't slid off the road because of it yet. And this aggressive driving is done with a large boat of a car, not a nimble sports car

Summer only tires and snow tires are (in my opinion), a waste of money. Unless of course you track your car and need the summer only performance tires for track use or only have one car and NEED to have it whether it snows or not.
In my opinion the opposite is true. 4x4's are a waste of money in this area. Unless you're in the need of towing something heavy, or plan on going off road (mudding) why do you need the 4X4 for 5-10 days of the year? As for the all season tires, there is a huge difference, at least in my experience. My wife's Matrix does not do so well with the all seasons, the winters make a big difference. And for the MINI, it came with summer tires, so the winter tires were necessary. Both vehicles with winters in my opinion are better in winter conditions than my old CR-V (4x4). Only two advantages the CR-V had: one was getting through the end of the driveway after being plowed in, but that was a height issue, not traction. Second, was I could accelerate a bit faster due to the 4x4 traction. However, I gaurantee the MINI can stop and manuever quicker than any 4X4 in slippery conditions, which is more important.
Granted you loose a little traction for "spirited" driving during good days, but besides the 5-10 days of snow storms, there's also black ice conditions and snow drifts and other hazzards throughout the winter to consider. The piece of mind knowing that I've got superior traction in the winter all the time, out weighs the factor of not getting as much grip on spirited drives for 4 months.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 PM

While we're on the subject...what snow tires do you guys (and girls) recommend for a full-size 2wd pickup?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:24 AM

thought about this more and the reason we all suggest snows is because the S is the first and only car i ever purcahsed with "summer" only tires - the 'lude also came with "summer" only tires and snows

all seasons are better then summer only and snow / winter tires are better all seasons BUT most new s2000 owners know little about the car and maybe less about the tires - even if someone purchased a used S they need to see if the old owner swapped the tires with oem tires

s02s, re-750 and any other summer tire will suck

Quick Reply: JEFF! FU AND THE HORSE WITH NO SNOW TIRES