New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

iPod Newbie Question...

Old 04-29-2005 | 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by elmmx5,Apr 29 2005, 02:12 PM
Hint: I linked to it on my first post.
dude, thats for cars equipped with cassette players.
Old 04-29-2005 | 07:28 PM

no it's not

"Converter connects to the CD changer data port of your factory radio to create an external auxiliary input that has a pair of left and right RCA audio inputs "
Old 04-30-2005 | 04:02 AM

Right... what that chart that might be confusing you is showing you is how to hook it up *if* your car has a cassette player as well. This item works with honda systems in many models. Some of these models may have a cassette player as well. In those cases, the CD changer port is used by the cassette player and then there is another changer port on the cassette unit for that purpose (which you would use for the converter). Our cars have no cassette player, so in our case we ignore the second diagram and follow the first. Simply plug into the head unit directly.
Old 04-30-2005 | 03:51 PM

I've had an ipod for at least 6 months now and the thing is ridiculous. I love it! The same idea occured to me a while back "who needs a CD changer." So, I looked into all the different ways I could hook the ipod into my car stereo and I agree w/ everyone else. The direct connection method is the best. However, I hate the stereo system in my S. The salesman told me for 04 it was upgraded but it's still horrible. So, I can only imagine what the stereo sounds like in a pre-04 S. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll probably end up replacing the stock radio with an Alpine. They along with Pioneer and other manufacturers make interfaces which allow you to connect your ipod to the aftermaket head unit. If you go this route you have more control over the ipod with the buttons on the head unit than you would if you connected the ipod to the factory radio using an aftermarket adapter like the PIE. Plus you would improve the sound quality of your system with a new head unit. In the mean time I've been using the Monster I-carplay FM modulator and cigarette lighter adapter and it's awful. There are too many radio stations in the Boston area for my to find one to broadcast my ipod on without interference.
Old 05-01-2005 | 05:21 AM

ok, thanks for the heads up.
For now, im stickin with the factory radio (i know it sucks ass) but i will be changing/adding speakers and an amp eventually to the system and see how the stock unit holds up. I may look into that Monster unit or what theRandomor suggested. I hardly ever use or listen to radio stations so, def need something to hook up the ipod to the car.
Old 05-01-2005 | 07:46 AM
Banned

The iPod connectors for factory systems are nice if you really want to keep your factory HU. But the iPod connector for say Alpine is only $99 retail and does have a more complete integration with the iPod.

With the cash you save over the $200 boxes that connect to a factory system you could put that towards a nice HU and be doing well.
Old 05-03-2005 | 05:45 AM

i would consider that, but i dont want to lose the remote controls to the left of the steering wheel (im constantly using them) and most of the time i have the radio door closed (love the look of the 04-up door)
I may upgrade the HU next year,but this year im going to do the speakers and a possible sub and amp and then im done. So, a connection from ipod to the factory HU is what im going with for now.

UPDATE: Just got a call from a friend this morning who has a Mini-Ipod for sale. I belive these are 4GB? He is asking $150. Only catch, its Blue.
Well im going to offer him a little less as i know you can get a new 6gb ipod for $250 in the silver which i wanted.
Old 05-03-2005 | 05:58 PM

I have the Alpine and it rocks. The connection is great and adds tremendous value to owning the I-Pod. If anyone is interested, I will post images of the set up. The recharging feature is also a big plus,,,
Old 05-04-2005 | 05:19 AM

Sure, why not? I'd like to see some pics. Also, did you get the DCI set up, too?
Old 05-04-2005 | 06:32 AM

Looks like the Pie unit i need is $159, no biggie but, its not yet available until late May or June according to the Logmel site ellmx5 posted
I may have to check with a local shop to see if they have it in stock. Or maybe BestBuy would have these ?

Quick Reply: iPod Newbie Question...