New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

I Don't Get Black Cars

Old 02-02-2012 | 06:33 AM

Default I Don't Get Black Cars

What is it with black cars? Is it just me that thinks that color is the worst?

I owned one in the 1970s, a black Ford convertible, and said I'd never own another because it was impossible to keep clean all the time. When it was dirty it looked 10X more dirty.
The recent popularity of black cars has me totally stymied. Oh, and when you wash them/have them washed, all the nice swirl marks on the black just look great too.

Maybe if you want to carefully wash and dry it daily.........

BTW, I have seen a few Mercedes and BMW's that look OK in black, as long as I don't own them.

Just stirring up controversy,

-m
Old 02-02-2012 | 06:53 AM
20 Year Member

There is nothing sharper than a clean, shiny black car, depending on the model. We've owned two. Don't plan on owning another.

I think certain cars look better in certain colors. My sister had an Audi A4 in red, for a sedan, it was sharp. She just updated to a newer one, pretty much the same body style in a real dark blue, almost black. I don't care for it, it has NO "pop" at all, it looks like a boring sedan.

Now this will stir up controversy, silver is my least favorite color on the S2000. Sorry, Marty.
Old 02-02-2012 | 07:23 AM

No problem, Lainey.

The silver was the best car available, with only 19K miles put on by a retired librarian (really).

I have already had a red Miata and my friend has a red S2K. I do like the light blue best.
Sorry, no yellow either.

-m
Old 02-02-2012 | 07:36 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman
No problem, Lainey.

The silver was the best car available, with only 19K miles put on by a retired librarian (really).

I have already had a red Miata and my friend has a red S2K. I do like the light blue best.
Sorry, no yellow either.

-m
Wonder if she took it to church too? Had it ever been ? There are a few folks who own the S who will admit to never having hit

I didn't like the yellow when it first came out, but it has grown on me. We almost traded up to a yellow a few years ago. Red is one of my favorite colors for the S. I like the Suzuka, but some folks actually call it "Vintage Blue." It did seem to be the favorite of the older S2000 crowd.
Old 02-02-2012 | 08:13 AM

Black is hard to maintain and is like a dirty magnet but when they're clean they're dead sexy. That's why I own one.
I like to look dead sexy, but maybe only twice a year for about 8 hours at a time.
Old 02-02-2012 | 08:58 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

I think silver is the most boring color on a car. there are so many silver and gray Zs for sale that I could have bought. But I chose red then black. I had a black del sol. Then I bought my yellow S2k and boy I got attention. then I got my red Z and now traded it for a black Z. I'm looking forward to clay barring it and polish and waxing it. its going to look brand new again. the pollen will fall. then i'll have a yellow car again. hehe
Old 02-02-2012 | 09:24 AM

i told myself after my last black s2000 that I would never do black again. I found my black ctsv for 4 thousand less than any other comparables with a certified used warranty and only 12,000 miles on it. I would never willingly buy another black car but if you give me 4 grand...

Old 02-02-2012 | 09:42 AM

black cars FTW
Old 02-02-2012 | 09:56 AM

I love black cars, but have never owned one. It's definitely the cleanliness, but I also prefer metallic cars over glossy ones for their depth (and for their ability to hide swirl marks). Even if it isn't a true "black" I'd go with a black metallic any day.

When I had the summer job at the grey market Ferrari importer, I saw a lot of 360 Modenas side by side for comparison. Most of Ferraris colors are gloss, like their red, yellow, and black. But their silvers and blues were metallic, and it just adds a lot to the look, and helps a ton if you can't keep it perfectly clean all the time. I even saw a 550 Maranello in a Suzuka-like light blue metallic with beige leather interior. Nice, though not my taste.

Part of my problem is that I've never bought a new car, so I don't really get to choose colors. Most of my choices have been silver, simply because they were more commonly found, they hide flaws/dirt, and they don't attract attention.

If I had my choice with the S2000, I'd have a Laguna Blue (even if it's an AP2 color only). I just love that color. I tried like crazy when I was looking to buy my A4 to find a "Santorin Blue" metallic that's similar to Laguna. But they were very hard to find with the other specs I wanted.

How do people feel about Matte Black cars??
Old 02-02-2012 | 10:10 AM

Matte black looks good on some cars... But "murdering" everything under the sun just doesn't work...

Having owned a black car (and now another, wife wanted black ) I swore I wouldn't again... Just for the reasons already stated... As soon as it is clean it's dirty and any little swirl mark shows up... But as amateur detailer... I love working on black cars, they show the most "improvement" but just look killer when done...

Before:

After:

Caddies always look great in black...
Before:

After:

Quick Reply: I Don't Get Black Cars