New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

How long do your winter tires last?

Old 03-03-2003, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my eighth season with the same set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's on my winter beater. They've got about 24k miles on them and have about half their tread left. They don't grip like they used to, especially on ice, but in the snow they still grip pretty damn well. I don't think I'd want to put these on my S2000 but on a non performance type vehicle they deliver exceptional grip.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:41 PM

Mas,

I got my Toyo Garits (sp?) the same time you got yours two winters ago and I have to give them great marks. They got better with mileage and were TERRIBLE for the first 1000 miles. I now have about 7000 miles on them, and they hardly look worn. There hasn't been a day that I haven;t been out on the road, including the big blizzard both Monday night and Tuesday morning following and had no problems at all, much to my surprise.

They actually turned out great and wonder what's in the compound to make them start off so sucky.

Chaz
Old 03-03-2003, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mas
koala,

I was in your shoes last December/January. I got the car and traded in the stock tires for Toyo Garits. However, after driving them for 800 miles they showed no sign of getting any better (less twitchy) so I returned them (toyo's 30 day trial warranty) and got Pirelli 210s instead - what a difference, it's like going from an SUV to a sports car handling.
I think the S2000 actually handles really well with the Garit HT's (did you have HT's? they have lower models... I got the most expensive ones they make)... but I've yet to drive an S2000 with the S-02's.

I'll know better later this month or early april... I've got a brand new pair of rear s-02's that just arrived. People weren't joking when they said they were wider than normal 225's!
Old 03-03-2003, 06:12 PM

Yes I have the Ht's, I thought that was their only Garit model.

Hardly compares to so2 on a hot sticky summer day, but to be able to drive all year=can't complain.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:51 PM
mas

Chaz,

Good to hear that the tires turned out to be ok for you. I just didn't wait to take a chance and went back to my good old pirellis that I had good experience with in the past. IMO, the sidewalls on the Garits are too soft and not only it slows down the steering drastically but it's a bit scary when you hit vtec at high speeds. Maybe after some wear it got better for you. We should get together and compare tires if you haven't already taken them off? If they are good I'd like to buy then next winter if I get a job by then.

/mas
Old 03-03-2003, 06:53 PM

Mas,

My good ratings are for snow travelling, not performance (VTEC), which my car sees very limitedly this time of year. I'm around weekends usually if you want to check them out. Let me know.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by chaz01
My good ratings are for snow travelling, not performance (VTEC),
PRECISELY!

"but it's a bit scary when you hit vtec at high speeds"
-- You have some keys ingredients working together here: winter, "possible" snow, cold roads, snow tires, VTEC and high speed.
If you don't see what's wrong with this picture, then I've gotta give my head a shake and suggest to park that car before you kill yourself or someone else.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:45 AM
mas

xviper,

So, you're saying no vtec in winter?

When I said scary, this is what I'm refering to: Nice sunny day, smooth straight road with no salt/snow/water/ice, you hit vtec and the sidewalls want to snap/bend. This has got nothing to do with winter (no traction issues) but the tire construction. I think my mention of "high speeds" got you concerned :-) I'm not talking any speeds above the posted speed limits.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
PRECISELY!
Old 03-04-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mas
[B]xviper,

So, you're saying no vtec in winter?
Old 03-04-2003, 10:55 AM
mas

I'm just trying to say that all snow tires are not the same, I don't have the sidewall problem with the Pirelli 210s so I can choose to vtec when appropriate.

Quick Reply: How long do your winter tires last?