New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

How long do your winter tires last?

Old 03-02-2003, 11:38 AM
mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just trying to get an idea which winter tire lasts longer. Please mention the tire and how many miles did it last before you had traction problems on snow/ice. Is the tire dirctional or symmetric?

Mine are the Pirelli 210 Asymmetrico Snow Sports. They have about 14K miles on them and look brand new except for some inside wear on the rear tires. I'm not happy with the traction on snow/ice anymore, though, but it could have something to do with the collision repair that I'm still not happy with. Too bad These are Asymmetric and I cannot switch the left/right tires so they can last me a bit longer. I'm also having some doubts about these tires being directional as well, I posted a question about that on the tire board. The tread pattern looks directional but I'm told there is no seperate tire for left/right - very interesting. Here's a pic:

These Pirelli 210s seem to have a different tread from the 210s I had on my prelude which looked like this:

Old 03-02-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your tires can't be switched from side to side, then they will have an arrow showing the direction of rotation (directional). Asymmetrical tires should not have an arrow on the sidewall, unless they are also directional. Yours do not look like they are directional and unless you have the arrow on the sidewall, should be able to be rotated from side to side.

I think that I would rotate them and see if this improves your traction.

I have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2's on mine. I only have about 2500 miles on them so far. Mine are definitely directional and not asymmetrical. I bought these because they are "H" rated and they have good wet and dry handling and traction characteristics. They spend more time on wet or dry roads than they do in the snow. They work very well in the snow, BTW. Here's a link to your tires and mine being compared: Tire Rack Tire Test

Good luck,
Bob
Old 03-02-2003, 12:21 PM
mas

They do not have an arrow, however do say "outer side" or something like that. So, if I have to keep that side out then basically it's no use switching them from side to side. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason I think they should also be directional is that if you look at the 2/3 of the inner edge it's basically shaped like / to allow water/slush to get out of the tire's contact path. However, when you put the same tire on the other side, this pattern becomes like and instead brings the water/slush into the tire's contact path. Makes me wonder.....

PS: I've been to two local tire stores who carry these tires and one of them agrees with me 100% but the other says there's no left/right tire for this model. :-(

Originally posted by boiler
If your tires can't be switched from side to side, then they will have an arrow showing the direction of rotation (directional). Asymmetrical tires should not have an arrow on the sidewall, unless they are also directional. Yours do not look like they are directional and unless you have the arrow on the sidewall, should be able to be rotated from side to side.

I think that I would rotate them and see if this improves your traction.

I have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M2's on mine. I only have about 2500 miles on them so far. Mine are definitely directional and not asymmetrical. I bought these because they are "H" rated and they have good wet and dry handling and traction characteristics. They spend more time on wet or dry roads than they do in the snow. They work very well in the snow, BTW.

Good luck,
Bob
Old 03-02-2003, 02:44 PM

That's the difference between directional and asymmetrical. The asymmetrical tires have an "outside" and an "inside", but they can be rotated from side to side. The outside of the tire will always be on the outside, unless you remount the tires. I'm talking about unbolting the wheels and swapping them from one side of the car to the other, nothing else.

Directional tires have a mark on the sidewall showing the intended rotation. These tires can not be rotated easily, because they have to be unmounted and then remounted for use on the other side of the car. They need to be reversed on the wheel that they are currently mounted on.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have Goodrich Winter Slalom on the front (stock size) and Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01 on the rear (stock size). Only the MZ's are unidirectional.

These tires are in their 3rd winter and I'm only estimating they have about 15K miles on them. The fronts are barely worn and the rears, I'm hoping will last another winter, maybe two.

If you get the Blizzal LM-22, they will wear even longer but they do not grip the snow and ice quite as well as the MZ's. The WS-50 will be an even better snow tire than the MZ but they will wear out much quicker. Arctic Alpins have about the same traction as my MZ's but the owner who has them just got them this year so can't say how they will compare in terms of wear. I do not believe the Winter Slalom would make for a good rear snow tire as they don't grip nearly as well as any of the others but for fronts, they are quite adequate.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:30 PM

Don't expect too much grip from the snow/ice tires - they are better than the summer tires but they are still tied to the laws of physics - esp in the S2000 where you have all that performance potential.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by s2ktaxi
Don't expect too much grip from the snow/ice tires - they are better than the summer tires but they are still tied to the laws of physics - esp in the S2000 where you have all that performance potential.
I expect and get a lot of grip from a true dedicated snow tire when used on snow and ice. And when it comes to ANY car with high performance potential, the key is in the word "potential". You do not have to use all that power when driving under less than ideal conditions. I've driven a Corvette, including the ZR-1 in winter. An S2000 is easy by comparison.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:15 PM

I have Toyo Garit HT's. Only 6,000 miles on the fronts (were on my RSX before this), and 4,000 miles on the rears... but no signs of any wear yet.

They see a lot of dry pavement tho. I'm sure they will last me a few winters no problem.

I like the fact that when it IS dry out, they provide very good grip for winter tires (like, if I had no choice but to leave them on for summer, it wouldn't be that bad.. mind you, I've never driven the S2K with summer tires yet since I've only had it since December). In the snow and on the ice they're not too bad at all.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:12 PM
mas

koala,

I was in your shoes last December/January. I got the car and traded in the stock tires for Toyo Garits. However, after driving them for 800 miles they showed no sign of getting any better (less twitchy) so I returned them (toyo's 30 day trial warranty) and got Pirelli 210s instead - what a difference, it's like going from an SUV to a sports car handling.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Blizzak LM-22s. I can probably go 4 winters or more with these suckers. I've put 7000kms on them and they look new as the day I put them on. This winter has been bare dry for the first half and on an off snow for the second half.

They don't have the grip I would like but if you drive like a granny in the snow and ice, they will be just fine.

Quick Reply: How long do your winter tires last?