New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

?going to school to be a certified pilot?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?going to school to be a certified pilot?

well my time is running short because i basically have to decide a major to transfer into my next college. i have to start filling out my transfer forms. i had the idea of becomming an aviator but i never really looked into it. well today i was talking it over with my girlfriend and her school (bridgewater state) has a good program for it. there are two options, either i go to be a certified pilot, or i go to be an aviator commander, which requires a few more classes and knowledge. the good thing is there is really no math involved, which is my weak point. this job sounds really interesting but how practical would it be that i graduate and right away find a job in this feild? i would like to start off flying the mini helicopters bringing patients to hospitols, and maybe later on working with police if i decide to apply a criminal justice course. an aviator commander basically sits at the gound base and radio's in to the pilot and gives out orders. do any of you guys know people who are certified polits? and other good schools? any help is appreciated
Old 02-19-2007, 03:44 AM

I had thought (actualy still am) about going to school for helicopter pilot. I am not familiar with the Bridgwater program, but I know there is one at the airport where you get your private pilot license in about 6mos. Then you can only fly a two seater though. For more time and money, you can get your comercial license, which is where the money is.

From what I hear, getting work as a pilot is pretty easy. Big corporations hire hellicopters to fly big wigs and packages all over. This is especialy true in a big city like NY where alot of big wigs take choppers to lunch and meetings to avoid traffic. Also, on the Cape, they hire pilots to spray the cranberry bogs. Alot of money to be made. As far as the law enforcement helicopter stuff, it won't be entry level. At least around here. The only department with choppers is the state police. And, from what I understand, they send troopers to flight school instead of hiring outside pilots. But, I know that down south they hire pilots regularly. you can even find postings online for these jobs.

I think it's a good move man. Go for it!
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 AM

sounds interesting!!!

i say go for it
Old 02-19-2007, 04:42 AM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by h22boy,Feb 19 2007, 01:42 AM
, either i go to be a certified pilot, or i go to be an aviator commander, which requires a few more classes and knowledge. the good thing is there is really no math involved, which is my weak point.
If math is not your strong suit, I'd double check on the required math courses if I were you. I would think the aviator commander would need to know about altitude, longitude, latitude, all these involve numbers. I could be wrong. It's happened before.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 AM

I'd try PM'ing Bryan (brykel). He showed up at MikeyC's wash and wax clinic at Scott's shop and helped polish up my car. He flies a private jet for a living I believe.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 AM

I have a fraternity brother going to bridgewater now that is a pilot. I think he's in that program.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:48 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Here is the only advice I am qualified to give about this subject: I would not take advice about this subject from anyone outside of the industry.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Feb 19 2007, 09:48 AM
Here is the only advice I am qualified to give about this subject: I would not take advice about this subject from anyone outside of the industry.
always ruining the fun Bill. don't you know, once you are on the web, everyone is an expert
Old 02-19-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by sireousrex,Feb 19 2007, 04:44 AM
I had thought (actualy still am) about going to school for helicopter pilot. I am not familiar with the Bridgwater program, but I know there is one at the airport where you get your private pilot license in about 6mos. Then you can only fly a two seater though. For more time and money, you can get your comercial license, which is where the money is.

From what I hear, getting work as a pilot is pretty easy. Big corporations hire hellicopters to fly big wigs and packages all over. This is especialy true in a big city like NY where alot of big wigs take choppers to lunch and meetings to avoid traffic. Also, on the Cape, they hire pilots to spray the cranberry bogs. Alot of money to be made. As far as the law enforcement helicopter stuff, it won't be entry level. At least around here. The only department with choppers is the state police. And, from what I understand, they send troopers to flight school instead of hiring outside pilots. But, I know that down south they hire pilots regularly. you can even find postings online for these jobs.

I think it's a good move man. Go for it!
thanks. now i see that there are many more jobs out there for pilots, and not just medical, airlines, and police.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jtpassat,Feb 19 2007, 06:05 AM
I have a fraternity brother going to bridgewater now that is a pilot. I think he's in that program.
really? does he ever tell you how the program is? if you get a chance tell him im interested and just want to know a little info on how the schooling is at bridgewater

Quick Reply: ?going to school to be a certified pilot?