New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Found a great car with one HUGE problem INSURANCE!

Old 04-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoBen,Apr 22 2005, 11:59 PM
You can only do that if you live in a different household address. And even that is against insurance policy but the insurance will give you the benefit of the doubt that the uninsured is only borrowing the car should he be the operator in an accident. Should that happens more than once within a short time period and the insurance will get suspicious. With the same household adddress, he is not covered.
Even at that when I was younger a friend of mine had that arrangement with his parents. He got into a major accident that was his fault and made the mistake of sying the car was his. After years of the totaled car sitting in thier driveway it all finally got straightned out.

My current beater/project is an 88 CRX Si. Paid $250 for it and promptly sold $300 worth of parts off of it. Now it's had a drivetrain swap and Energy Suspension bushings also. Get's 30mpg+, costs nothing to insure, and is a total blast. Can't wait to get it all wrapped up.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjk3,Apr 22 2005, 01:52 PM
So, my dad finds us an incredible 03 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe. white, 5 speed, chrome wheels, no abs...., anyways the car was great and it was a pleasure to drive. So, the part thats strangling me around the neck in the insurance. On the insurance rating scale, my moms minivan is a 13, the s2k is a 22 and for some god awful reason the r/t is a 21. Which means extremely higher payments. That combined with me being a new inexperienced driver gave us the terrible insurance quote of $4100 a year to insure the car in my name!!!!! Is something wrong here or what? We are ready to buy the car but we cannot because of the insurance payment. Its crazy!

So, is there anyway around this? My dad thought of maybe getting me as the primary driver for my moms minivan to decrease costs. I dont know what to do.
there's alot that goes into insurance. My bet is it's an "R/T" which equates to some sort of Sport Model...

To top it off, it's a COUPE.

Get a 92 Hatch and start throwing in a new block, insurance will never know!