New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Found a great car with one HUGE problem INSURANCE!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a great car with one HUGE problem INSURANCE!

So, my dad finds us an incredible 03 Dodge Stratus R/T coupe. white, 5 speed, chrome wheels, no abs...., anyways the car was great and it was a pleasure to drive. So, the part thats strangling me around the neck in the insurance. On the insurance rating scale, my moms minivan is a 13, the s2k is a 22 and for some god awful reason the r/t is a 21. Which means extremely higher payments. That combined with me being a new inexperienced driver gave us the terrible insurance quote of $4100 a year to insure the car in my name!!!!! Is something wrong here or what? We are ready to buy the car but we cannot because of the insurance payment. Its crazy!

So, is there anyway around this? My dad thought of maybe getting me as the primary driver for my moms minivan to decrease costs. I dont know what to do.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:03 PM

Received 3,215 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Ouch, young Bob!

Rick thought that the Stratus was on the "high theft list" so that may account for some of that high insurance rating. You add in your age, inexperience, etc., and it's pricey.

Your Dad's insurance agent can probably give the best advice as to if you can work around this.

Good luck! I'd hate to see you driving a four door Buick or a mini van on a regular basis.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:04 PM

Try checking another few insurance companies? Ask them why the car is classified that way? Or find another car.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Register it under your dad's name, and add you as secondary driver. It might come cheaper even w/ 2 names under the insurance policy. A good insurance agency should be able to help you find the best option.

There are other ways, but they are either not viable in your circumstances or illegal.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Get the car insured under your parents name and you pay your parents the insurance costs. This will drastically lower the costs. When I was younger my parents did this for me. Other little add ons for your age will be 3.0 GPA average. Having more automobiles on one insurance plan will also lower the cost on the other cars. Right now my parents have about five cars under one plan. They end up saving a few hundred each year because of this.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:06 PM

Sorry Bob but I had no luck finding the numbers .
Old 04-22-2005, 04:12 PM

Maybe you should just get some 10yr old civic dx hatchback without any mods or some toyota tercel. Dude, pride might get in the way but its something you will have to bite the bullet on. I started with an olds wagon and still got laid. IMHO.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JSWhaler,Apr 22 2005, 06:29 PM
Get the car insured under your parents name and you pay your parents the insurance costs. This will drastically lower the costs. When I was younger my parents did this for me.
You can only do that if you live in a different household address. And even that is against insurance policy but the insurance will give you the benefit of the doubt that the uninsured is only borrowing the car should he be the operator in an accident. Should that happens more than once within a short time period and the insurance will get suspicious. With the same household adddress, he is not covered.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by paivag,Apr 22 2005, 07:12 PM
Maybe you should just get some 10yr old civic dx hatchback without any mods or some toyota tercel. Dude, pride might get in the way but its something you will have to bite the bullet on. I started with an olds wagon and still got laid. IMHO.
Are you making fun of my 92 hatch.

Yes while my S still sits in the back room of the shop I am driving a salvaged 92 hatch back. The is my winter beater / new auto-x car .

I already have TEIN SuperStreet suspension and a Energy suspension bushing kit . I also have a B16 waiting for a tranny . I got the car free from a friend that said he has tried to get it running for 2 years . when I got it home it took all of 15min to get it running . The only problem was someone hacked the clutch wiring .

Don't worry Bob you will find something . Like I said before my first car was a 92 S10 pickup ( while dreaming of the Porsche 944), and me and my friends still had a blast . They didn't care if it was blinged out or not .Its about being free to go where you want when you want . It gets you to where you are going . Its all about good times .
Old 04-23-2005, 06:09 AM

Hey I drove a '78 Chevy Monza followed by a Dodge Omni 024.

But I was thrilled to have a car!

Quick Reply: Found a great car with one HUGE problem INSURANCE!