New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Employment, Unemployment.... Oh jeez

Old 05-21-2008 | 06:45 PM
EOE

Default Employment, Unemployment.... Oh jeez

Got a new job couple months ago, don't really like it.
I came out of mortgage industry in. Loved dealing with people. Top sales in the branch and #3 in the region for one month. I was 19Yrs old and stayed in that business for 2 years. When market went down hill I bailed and moved back to NE.

3 Months later score a good job, with awesome company. They promise better hours, sales like atmosphere. I work with nice people and all but Recruiting is NOT for me. I am bored outa my mind. Sure I am making calls, meeting numbers. But it's nothing close to sales, everyday i look forward to interviews with people. But then walk back to my desk thinking... omfg more calls. Now I did 10 hour and 11 hour days back in AZ. But when I don't like my job and told to work 8to7 it's even harder.

Been talking to people and they tell me to get in to Service writer position, that's a possibility. I am also thinking art, such as photos, or video editing. But with todays economy it's too risky and I need a job to survive and pay my bills.

Thought since i've met people from here who are successful maybe I can get some advice. Or knows of any opportunities.
Old 05-21-2008 | 06:51 PM

Dimitry, As far as photos go, Take it from me its a very hard road and its also a niche market unless you have a niche chances of success are low percentile.
Regardless of how good you are digital has changed the industry and most everyone with a decent digital camera thinks they are a professional now. The most successful photographers now a days are not necessarily the best shooters but they are the best at marketing themselves.
Old 05-21-2008 | 06:56 PM
EOE

yeah kind of noticed that, I am pretty good at photoshop and take ok photos with unique angels. Made it to SEMA 2006 as Press for www.rightcoastracing.com back in the day. But agree that it's silly to get in to. I do ok with video editing but I am sure it is just as saturated as photography. I am 21 and feel like a hit a brick wall. I know on avg people will go through 7 different careers before they find the right job I guess.

I honestly feel like I was looking for a job for some time, then found one that was OK and because I was in need of one I pumped it up to be some thing it wasn't and now paying for it. Should have taken more time and kept searching maybe.
Old 05-21-2008 | 07:01 PM

Hang in there buddy, your young yet! The right thing will come around just dont kill yourself looking for it.
Old 05-21-2008 | 07:13 PM
20 Year Member

I posted about a couple of sales jobs my daughter has open at Monster.com. Did you see the thread? Not sure if you have the right experience or not, but it seems there are sales jobs out there.
Old 05-21-2008 | 07:25 PM
EOE

Yes I took a look. In fact one of them might be a position I am trying to fill right now and calling people on it since I am a recruiter and Monster.com sends us jobs they need candidates for. lol

The Sales Manager role would most definitely be a stretch for me since I have only about 1.5 - 2Yrs Years of "Real serrious" sales experience with Countrywide in Arizona. Rest was Manager of retail stores etc.

I am also a certified tech. But really doubt I will make money in that field and really not the direction I would like to head.
Old 05-22-2008 | 03:50 AM

Dmitri, how about taking the civil service tests for police and fireman? If you like excitement, police will be great for you. If you like time off and loafing 90% of the time, fire will be great also. Can't beat the job security in either field because there will always be crime and stuff burning.
Old 05-22-2008 | 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by sireousrex,May 22 2008, 07:50 AM
Dmitri, how about taking the civil service tests for police and fireman? If you like excitement, police will be great for you. If you like time off and loafing 90% of the time, fire will be great also. Can't beat the job security in either field because there will always be crime and stuff burning.
Firefighting seems to be nice and relaxing. I'm going to join the local volunteer guys since the fire station is the next house over from mine. I love it when the truck goes out in the middle of the night sirens whaling.
Old 05-22-2008 | 04:13 AM

A friend of mine is a volunteer FF. I used to go hang out with him at the station sometimes. They had it all set up really cool. It was like a big boy club house.
Old 05-22-2008 | 04:14 AM
Member (Premium)
20 Year Member

WPI had a masters in fire safety which I studied for a while before deciding to forgo in favor of income.
within that context, personally I think anybody that goes into a burning building is nuts.

most people have the Hollywood view of what happens in a fire.
it just ain't like that. after watching a room go into flashover, I don't want to be anywhere near it.

Quick Reply: Employment, Unemployment.... Oh jeez