New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

EF U...

Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

No point in spending hundreds on GPS if you have to mapquest anyway
Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ef U List:

Old couple in an SUV pull up dead even to the left of my bike and then immediately turn right into a driveway. Knock my butt over. It was in broad day light and I was wearing a yellow jersey.

Fata55 biker listening to his ipod didn't hear me say "to your left" as I approach. Just as I am passing him on his left he swerve to the left and knock my butt over yet again. Had the balls to say afterward "I am surprise this [accident] doesn't happen more often."

Damn Sprint prematurely canceled my T-mobile family plan before the new Sprint phone got here. No phone service for the family the entire weekend.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Girl in the Maxima who all of the sudden merges into my lane with out looking and almost side swipes me
Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Jul 27 2008, 11:02 PM
Dave, I had to read that three times. I thought you were saying "today was Good Friday..." I'm like WTH?
oops forgot the comma... sorry
Old 07-28-2008, 03:37 AM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

We had a great day. Picking up the house and yard, Rick was rinsing out beer cans. What more can you ask for?

Bill, check your Garmin settings. Is there not one in navigation to "avoid unpaved roads"?

One of my favorite road annoyances is the guy that pulls out right in front of me then travels well below the speed limit. Why was he in such a hurry to cut me off?

AND the one who breezes through the red light taking a left turn in front of you because you let ONE guy go. I want to drive a Hummer and ram those guys.

PS Mark, buy a GPS, well worth the money! Never a bad idea to have a map/Map Quest for back up, but so much easier to travel with a GPS.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lainey beat me to it, but my 1st thought on the GPS was to check your settings too.

Mark, while a GPS isnt 100%, neither is Mapquest. Also the biggest advantage is not looking at paper directions either at night, or top down!

Whenever there is a longer trip planned I would print out directions as a backup. You never know when you run into a recent construction, which can screw up Garmin (or Mapquest), or you loose connection.

I got my Garmin 200w off craigslist for $100 so good deals are out there.

PS - my gps picked up the signal as soon as I started down Ericks street.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Lainey and Shug. I'll check the settings on mine.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SHUG,Jul 28 2008, 07:53 AM
Lainey beat me to it, but my 1st thought on the GPS was to check your settings too.

Mark, while a GPS isnt 100%, neither is Mapquest. Also the biggest advantage is not looking at paper directions either at night, or top down!

Whenever there is a longer trip planned I would print out directions as a backup. You never know when you run into a recent construction, which can screw up Garmin (or Mapquest), or you loose connection.

I got my Garmin 200w off craigslist for $100 so good deals are out there.

PS - my gps picked up the signal as soon as I started down Ericks street.
Mike that was really strange that it didn't seem to want to pick up a signal when
we were going to Wendell's Friday night!

I'd hate to have that happen to me on a long trip for any extended period of time,
then you miss your exit and have to backtrack (quite a long way sometimes) to
get back to where you are supposed to be!

I don't know if I can drive, look at the GPS, confirm on paper with mapquest and
stay on the road all at the same time!
Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,949 Likes on 2,647 Posts

sometimes they can get 'confused' if you start them under trees next to a building where they can't see the satellites.
best to get in the clear and power cycyle it and start over.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 AM

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Mark, sometimes they do take a while to pick up a signal...it just happens. One thing we we like about the GPS is getting from place to place once we reach a destination. You need a car wash, it will find one for you. You want to eat, specify fast food, even Italian, and it will find it for you. I would not be without one now that we have one....

Other driving annoyances.

We forgot the route directions at home on Saturday and had to go back. We headed up the street our neighborhood, and there's an SUV parked in the middle of the road, someone inside holding a conversation with someone outside....then the outside lady crosses in front of the SUV, gives us a hand signal to just continue sitting there, while she consults with the driver about something......Rick is now he can't get around her too easily, so he starts creeping up....let's just say she moved

We know which house she was visiting...they aren't classy folks like us....

Quick Reply: EF U...