New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

direct tire

Old 04-19-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default direct tire

I have direct tire swap my winter/summer tires. Today I called on pricing for oem rears. They told me $260 each. Tire rack sells for $152 and $9 for a total of $161 each. I am now working with the manager over there to see if he can match the price.

Are tires always marked up this much????
Old 04-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Since S-02's were discontinued and only the OEM's being sold the prices dropped!!!!!!! So he might be working off an old price sheet.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Direct Tires has always had hugh markup on tires - usually 50% higher than the best web prices. Their managers are always willing to negotiate though. Most times they can bring their price within $10 per tire (but almost never match). They want you to pay a lil-extra for convenience.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim what do you mean by the s-02s were discontinuted? btw thanks for the filter

Chaz - please let me know the bottom line price as i need some rears bad
Old 04-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by Bass
Jim what do you mean by the s-02s were discontinuted?
YES THEY HAVE BEEN!!! They were replace by the S-03. Our OEM S-02's are still being produced and probably will be for a very long time.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:01 AM
mas

I've been a direct tire customer for years. They are going to be about 15% or more $$ than what you will find online. However, the free services they provide more than make up for that. You will get free balancing, mouting, alignment, seasonal tire changeover, tire fixing,...... They will even rotate your tires left/right for free. Get a price quote from Town Fair and then ask them to match that. Quoting TireRack is not a fair comparison.

When I moved from Mboro to Springfield I used Town Fair to get winter tires for my accord since direct tire does not have any branches west of Natick. They quoted me $10 less than DirectTire and advertised the same free services HOWEVER, when I went in for a tire change over a few weeks ago they charged me $50 !!!! I was so pissed off! They told me their definition of a tire change over means that I should have the tires on a seperate set of wheels and they will basically just swap wheels. Is that a rip-off or what?? Why do I need to go to the tire shop to get the wheels swapped? I should have taken the trip to DirectTire!
Old 04-19-2003, 11:22 AM

Mas, not knocking anyone's business, just a simple question on the tire business. I've been happy with the service, that's why I go there. I was a bit surprised however that they were 61.5% over tirerack.com

15% would have been a LITTLE bit more palitable.

Just got off the phone and they'll basically match the price, plus a fee for putting on, so not too bad.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:32 PM
mas

I'm glad it worked out for you. You got your winter tires there, righ? If that's the case then you will still get the free tire changeover next winter
Old 04-19-2003, 04:30 PM

Yes, I got my snow there. I also keep my offset there not having a garage, so it works out well for me.

Washed her up today, inside and out. Summer can't get here fast enough.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:33 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

chaz01 and mas,

Have either of you had your S2000s aligned at Direct Tire? I am talking about a competition alignment to exact specs, not an alignment to something within "factory tolerences." I have an appointment with them this monday. They claim they have done S2000s before. They are very convenient to my house, and they have the right machines, but I don't know anyone who had their S aligned there. Years ago we used them for everything and they were very good. Now that they have a number of locations, I wonder about their competence.

Quick Reply: direct tire