New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

CT - SPRING Drive in Litchfield County - 4/11

Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CT - SPRING Drive in Litchfield County - 4/11

WHAT:CT - SPRING Drive in Litchfield County - 4/11! This drive will begin in Derby, CT and travel up through some back roads up through Litchfield, CT for lunch.

WHEN:Sunday, April 11, 2009 @ 11am till 3pm

WHERE: Begin our drive at the commuter lot off route 15 (Merrit/Cross Parkway) in Derby/Ansonia, CT [exit 58, route 34 depending on traveling north or south make sure its traveling West on Rt 34] at 11am and finish at the same location in the mid-afternoon.

For the GPS folks: Plug in this address -
593 Derby Avenue
Orange, Connecticut 06477
Google Map Location of the Commuter Lot

DESCRIPTION:
We will travel north on route 34 through the City of Derby, the smallest city in the state of Connecticut. Following the Lake Zoar River onto route 188 through Great Hill reservoir, we continue on route 188 to Quakers farm. Legend has it that before the first settlers came in 1680, there along the road lived a Quaker. He lived in a house by a babbling brook, in an open field, below the mountain. He never married. And so, the area was called Quaker's Farm. As we drive along the road here, you will see many historic homes dating back before the American Revolution.

Next on the scenic itinerary is the Southford Falls State Park. At the turn of the century, this was the site of the Diamond Match Company. Scenic waterfalls are at the southeast end of the Park on the Eight Mile River. Continuing on route 188 we come to route 67 as we make our way to Southbury. A rural small town which borders another town called Middlebury where I grew up! Driving into Southbury we are going to look for their main street which will connect us to route 172 on to a small town called South Britain.

The village of South Britain is a flourishing place, containing a number of neat buildings, a carpet and several hat factories. This village is surrounded by high hills and precipices, and has a romantic and picturesque appearance. Try not to lose sight of our next turnoff which will get us on back to route 67. This will take us to the town of Roxbury.

For those of you unfamiliar to Roxbury, whose Indian name was "Shepaug", a Mohegan name signifying "rocky water", it was home to a small smelting furnace which provided the building material for such world wonders as the Brooklyn Bridge and Grand Central Station in New York City. It is also home to some notable Roxburians; Ethan Allen (January 21, 1738 ? February 12, 1789) Early American revolutionary and guerrilla leader, Green Mountain Boys, Seth Warner (May 17, 1743 - December 26, 1784) Green Mountain Boys, Arthur Miller (October 17, 1915 ? February 10, 2005) American playwright, Alexander Calder (July 22, 1898 ? November 11, 1976) American sculptor and artist, Frank McCourt Author, Stephen Sondhiem Broadway playwright, Dustin Hoffman Actor, Denis Leary Actor, Mercer Mayer Children's Book Author Little Critters, and Everett Hurlburt (July 31,1863 - July 1971) Inventor of Aqua Velva after shave!

As we are traveling on route 67 we have to be on the lookout for route 199 that will take us out of Roxbury and onto route 47 through a little town called Washington Depot being named in honor of General George Washington, who traveled through the area several times during wartime. Route 47 will take us onto route 109 which is coincidently called Old Litchfield Road which will take us to our luncheon spot for some eats and greets. But before our first stop let us take a slight detour on route 209 to Bantam Lake. At 933 acres it?s the largest natural body of water in Connecticut. Home to once our former governor of Connecticut forced to resign under controversy involving renovations to his Bantam Lake cottage.

As we round out Bantam Lake we drive onto route 202 that will take us to Litchfield Community Field where we will park for our meet and great. A luncheon will be planned with one of the establishments depending on size of the group. Most likely no reservation is needed and we could enjoy the exquisite offerings Litchfield provides us.

After lunch will drive back to our starting point utilizing a few different routes, but not before we stop off for some home-made ice cream at Woodbury?s Dairy Delight to visit my old friend Charlie White who gave me my first part time job in high school. We drive onto route 63 heading south to Watertown. A quick short cut will be taken to avoid Watertown all together. I know you guys really want to visit the Taft School, a private coeducational prep school located in Watertown, Connecticut. The School?s founder Horace Dutton Taft?s brother was William Howard Taft, who was elected President of the United States in 1908. But Ice Cream awaits us in Woodbury!

We will quickly take a right onto route 132 that will merge onto route 47, note we were on route 47 when we drove through General George Washington?s old stomping grounds. This should bring us onto route 6 that will take us to the center of Woodbury where we will stop at Woodbury?s Dairy Delight for some Ice Cream and chatter. Not only does Woodbury offer us some tasty Ice Cream it is also known for its many antique shops and well-known residents have included Marilyn Monroe, yes the actress and Hayden Carruth, an award-winning poet and critic, grew up in town.

After the ice cream meet we will make our drive back to our starting point. We will continue on route 6 back onto Southbury, then onto route 67 that will take us to Southford Falls. Look for route 188 that will take us past Southford Falls State Park and Quaker's Farm. Route 188 will take us back onto route 34 which will inevitably take us back to the commuter lot for some good byes!

SUMMARY:
Driving distance: 95.5 miles
Trip duration: 4 hours, 15 minutes
Driving time: 2 hours, 45 minutes

Participants:
  • Paivag - George
  • ohthunderroad
  • LazyProfessor
  • Red Stwokay
  • Pinky - OUT
  • H20
  • JSWhaler - OUT
  • DannyS2Kalldayy
  • CenturionS2K
Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 PM

I'm in!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM

Maybe - depending on what my house demands of me on that day.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I am in of course! Not sure if I will have a +1 but we should be able to work it out.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM

would love to go but gotta work
Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 AM
H20

I'm most likely in.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:38 PM

Don't know yet, but interested. Put me as a Maybe.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:28 AM

Not for me. Its going to be a busy next 2 months. I'm in Montreal on the 17-18th then Fishing on 24-25. I just got to squeeze this little drive in.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 AM

[QUOTE=Red Stwokay,Mar 29 2010, 04:01 AM]I haven't seen anything about a Hooters meet in Milford this year.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by LazyProfessor,Mar 23 2010, 05:15 PM
Maybe - depending on what my house demands of me on that day.
Turning in to a most likely - Becky will be visiting that weekend and likes that drive.

Quick Reply: CT - SPRING Drive in Litchfield County - 4/11