New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

CT Speeding Tickets

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

You can get your motor vehicle record, but don't waste your time "investigating" the officer.

Is a court appearance required, or do you first have to plead not guilty to get a court date.

In either case, when your case comes up in court, get there early, like when the doors first open. Find out where the motor vehicle prosecutor is and get in line to see him. Bring evidence of insurance. Tell him you have no record, that you'd like to keep your record clean and don't want to have any points on the license (although I'm not sure you get any points for 14-218a. He may be willing to "reduce" the charge to something else. Say thank you, pay that fine and get out of there. If you can't resolve it to your satisfaction, ask for a continuance to get a lawyer and then try to find a $200 lawyer.

Bring cash to pay any fine.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jojipoji
Jim,
Where did you get your ticket? When is your court date? Who pulled you over a state trooper or municipal cop? Plead guilty and you might not necessarily get points but your insurance will get notice irregardless as long as it is a moving violation. Definitely plead not guilty and bring your driving history. Hopefully you were respectful to the cop as the disposition of the driver is often in the po report associated with the ticket. Talk to the prosecutor and suggest a charitable donation. Depending on the court I might know the prosecutor or some of the public defenders. Btw If you got pulled over in Norwalk you are screwed. The dont cut anyone a break.
It was actually in my home town Milford. I will be sending in the ticket NOT GUILTY tomorrow just need a stamp. I will then get a court date to see a magistrate not a judge(most likely). Insurance and driving history will be in my hands when I go in.

I was respectful and did not argue with the officer at all. I only did that once(well sort of) when I was pulled over and stopped across the city line. I said "What town am I in?" he replies with "NOW" I said "yes" he said the town but it was not the officers town. I said "I didn't know you were allowed to ticket outside of your own town". He said "As long as I start pursuit in my town I can follow you anywhere in CT". Kindly I said thank you. Sent in not guilty but never saw the court date and never heard of it since(back probably a year or two after I got my S.

Hey any help is appreciated if you have any pull in Milford.

Thanks everyone else for the recommendations.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Well, the bad news is you are not likely to be able to find a $200 lawyer in Milford.

Before you send in your not guilty plea, look carefully at the ticket to see what court house you will be going to. It looks like a ticket in Milford and West Haven goes to the GA-22 courthouse at 14 West River Street in Milford. The rest of the area goes to GA-5 in Derby.

I think the West River Street courthouse must be around back. I was there for civil business a few weeks ago, went in the front door and I didn't see the crowds that I would normally associate with a motor vehicle docket -- at least not in the front of the building. There seemed to be a lot of building out back, so maybe there is a separate entrance back there.

While you are waiting for the court date to arrive, feel free to go to the courthouse and get a feel for the place. You might be able to call in advance to the clerk's office (203-874-1116) to find out what days they assign motor vehicle cases for infraction trials. Then visit the courthouse to locate the prosecutor's office is, check out the proceedings etc., so when you really have to go you can feel a little bit more comfortable.

Please post you picture or provide a physical description so that if we see any chain gangs working along the Merritt later this summer, we might be able to recognize you.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, looks like you got some pretty decent advice if needed give me a call and I can connect you with my father (lawyer) and see what he has to say. Cost would be $0.00.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Please post you picture or provide a physical description so that if we see any chain gangs working along the Merritt later this summer, we might be able to recognize you.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Jim
Let me know when your court date is. If I'm free that day and in the area I'll go with you. I have an amp and sub that needs intalling
Old 05-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by jojipoji
Jim
Let me know when your court date is. If I'm free that day and in the area I'll go with you. I have an amp and sub that needs intalling
DONE!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:09 PM

I'm pretty sure that any plea bargain has no affect on the points that are assessed on your driving record. If you reply Not Guilty, you will be given a court date. That is a date just to see if you and the DA can come to some resolution, ie a plea bargain->lower fine. If you do not agree to this then you will be given a court appearance date. If the officer shows up then you will probably pay for the full ticket plus court fees but if the officer does not show up, then they will dismiss the case. If you have a flexible schedule and don't mind hanging out at court, fight it. If not, pay it and be done with it because there doesn't seem to be any defense for your "speeding". In fact, since you questioned the officer's jurisdiction and reach of power, he will probably be there for the court date. Hope that helps. Remember that the easiest revenue for many towns and states are tickets, be careful out there! Hiro
Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Just got a letter in the mail and I forget the Latin word they used but it was a will not pursue statement. Their case didn't hold water, didn't think it would hold up, or just felt like being really nice!

Short of it I am super excited!!!! Very happy about the results and will be watching my speed this summer.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Good for you. You know usually on my Daily Driver I keep it reasonable since all the kids running around in Milford. But when the S comes out to play sometimes it creeps up on me and I forget. Glad it worked out for you.

Quick Reply: CT Speeding Tickets