New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Cost of Tranny Swap?

Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of Tranny Swap?

I was looking into getting my clutch changed this year just to have a fresh clutch and get rid of the stupid clutch buzzing, but as I was researching on what aftermarket clutch to get I stumbled upon some threads about AP1's using AP2 trannys.

The science of speed clutch I was looking at came out to be around 700ish dollars. For about 200 more I could score a AP2 tranny off ebay with lower miles than my car.

I was quoted last year for a standard clutch replacement it would come to around 600ish at a local shop. Would a swap be more than that or less? I really don't know what transmission work consists of so if swapping comes out to be thousands of dollars in labor then I will just stick with my original plan and get a clutch replacement.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Contact Billman out on Long Island. He did mine. I shipped the tranny to him. He did the tranny and clutch swap. Talk to him about costs. He also did some other maintenance style work. Very happy and worth the long drive.

Might talk to ScottyBallistic if your nearer him to see if he would do it.

A fully Tranny swap isn't that much more work than a clutch swap honestly from what I remember.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:02 PM

Tranny has to come out to install a clutch anyways.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Red,
The clutch assembly is actually bolted to the engine flywheel.
A grooved rod from the tranny slides into the clutch plate.
The transmission bell housing surrounds the clutch asembly and bolts to the back of the engine.
So to get to the clutch you remove the drive shaft, disconnect the slave cylinder, the unbolt the bell housing and back it out of the clutch.
After that you can replace the clutch, then reassemble it all reversing the process.

Exchanging a tranny while you have it out shouldn't be a cost adder.
If I recall correctly however , they did make some changes to the slave cylinder mechanism on AP2's though.
So you might have to make some changes there. but I'd certainly recommend a bunch of research before I started down that path.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by RedSunS2K
I was looking into getting my clutch changed this year just to have a fresh clutch and get rid of the stupid clutch buzzing, but as I was researching on what aftermarket clutch to get I stumbled upon some threads about AP1's using AP2 trannys.

The science of speed clutch I was looking at came out to be around 700ish dollars. For about 200 more I could score a AP2 tranny off ebay with lower miles than my car.

I was quoted last year for a standard clutch replacement it would come to around 600ish at a local shop. Would a swap be more than that or less? I really don't know what transmission work consists of so if swapping comes out to be thousands of dollars in labor then I will just stick with my original plan and get a clutch replacement.
If you are from Connecticut, i can give you a guy who can swap or replace your clutch. He is very very good and considerate.
He does a lot of swapping engines and clutches. Let me know. He works late night and saturday too. Let me know if I can help.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Red,
The clutch assembly is actually bolted to the engine flywheel.
A grooved rod from the tranny slides into the clutch plate.
The transmission bell housing surrounds the clutch asembly and bolts to the back of the engine.
So to get to the clutch you remove the drive shaft, disconnect the slave cylinder, the unbolt the bell housing and back it out of the clutch.
After that you can replace the clutch, then reassemble it all reversing the process.

Exchanging a tranny while you have it out shouldn't be a cost adder.
If I recall correctly however , they did make some changes to the slave cylinder mechanism on AP2's though.
So you might have to make some changes there. but I'd certainly recommend a bunch of research before I started down that path.
No slave cylinder that can just be carried over from the AP1 but there is a prop shaft difference that I recall needed something done to it/changed etc. Research that definitely before completing.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing that needs to be swapped is the companion flange at the end of the tranny . Otherwise its a bolt on swap .
Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM

Drive up to NH I will do it for $400 for my NES2KI family
Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 AM

pmed ya scotty.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 AM

$400! Good deal!!

Quick Reply: Cost of Tranny Swap?