New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Connecticut Speeding Ticket Court Story

Old 02-12-2003, 06:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Connecticut Speeding Ticket Court Story

My court date for a speeding ticket was yesterday
Old 02-12-2003, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come I never get traffic court hearings as pleasent as yours.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Fight the ticket if its 10 mph or less over the speed limit. If you get caught doing 68-70+ in a 55 you might not have such a chance at getting off so easy!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately, I technically deserved the ticket (60 in a 35).

He caught me in one of those moments 50 yards past a stop sign, when I had a need to hear 9000 rpms for some reason!

There was no one around (so I thought) for miles!!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Wish I would get somebody so nice if I ever got a ticket like that!!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years ago, I got a ticket in front of the golf course on s main st in w hartford - something like 50 in a 35. The cop told me that if I claimed "not guilty", he'd testify in court that I was really doing 60mph! As always, I checked "not guilty" and returned it. A few weeks later I got a notice in the mail that the ticket had been dropped and not to appear in court!

Another time I got a ticket on the hwy and claimed "not guilty" and when I appeared in the little room they changed it from a speeding ticket to something less - with a hefty reduction in $ and no impact on my insurance.

My wife has appeared twice in that little room and has had similar experiences.

Bottom line - always claim NOT GUILTY (as long as you have 1/2 a day to kill!)
Old 02-12-2003, 10:12 AM

Well, since we're sharing speeding ticket stories here I'll share mine, too, although it happened many years ago.

I was stuck behind a car being driven erratically travelling at 15mph in a 25mph in a school zone on a 4-lane wide town road during the summer when school was out of session. When I got the chance to pass this Bozo driver, I was caught on radar going 41mph. I told the cop about the erratic driver that I was passing when he clocked me. The cop asked if I got the erratic driver's license plate number, which I hadn't, so he kept on writing the ticket.

This really aggravated me so I checked the "Not Guilty" box on the ticket and mailed it in. I went to Stamford Court and talked to the clerk there and told him the story. The clerk told me that he would schedule another court date and call the town cop in who wrote the ticket. He said that if the cop confirmed that I had told him at the scene about the erratic driver, he would throw the ticket out.

So, I anxiously awaited this second court date. I went in again and this time the cop was there. The clerk asked the cop if I had told him about the erratic driver at the scene and the cop confirmed that I had. But the cop said that I should have stayed back and not passed the erratic driver.

The clerk agreed with the cop and said that he would pursue the ticket against me anyway.

WTF?

At this point I just said to myself "F@ck it!" and I paid the ticket.

Net/Net: A lot of unnecessary anxiety and time wasted if I had just paid the ticket in the first place.

Not a good introduction to the fairness of the court system. Lesson learned: Stay out of there -- you never know what will happen!
Old 02-12-2003, 12:14 PM

Twice I've been to New Haven to contest a ticket, one about 4 months ago, another 7 years ago. In both instances the case was dismissed. Don't be a jerk and you have a good shot at it.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:39 PM

i've been thera a few times myself it is a nice cout house but iwasn't so luck on one of the times , he didn't want to drop my wreckles driving ticket all together but did bring it down to improper start oh well
Old 02-13-2003, 08:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nimbus
[B]How come I never get traffic court hearings as pleasent as yours.

Quick Reply: Connecticut Speeding Ticket Court Story