New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Cell phone service commentary appriciated [sic]...

Old 03-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the fine print on the 3 day deals. My friend was allowed to cancel the service but had to keep the phone because it went over a certain amount of time and was considered used.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat has idendical Motorola phones. One with Cingular and one with Verizon. The Verizon one has 10x better signal in this part of the state.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:57 AM

I have AT&T. I started out 3 years ago with a cheap Nokia and had fine reception, moved up to a nicer Sony-ericsson, and now I just got a new Motorola T720 on there GMPS system. I can honestly say that after three years of service I have only had ONE instance where I lost signal, and that was on a 1/4 mile stretch of rt 24 in Freetown, MA. Other than that, the reception has been phenominal all the way from mid NH down to connecticuit. The home area goes from VA to ME and you get free nationwide longdistance and more minutes than I have ever managed to use for $39. The wireless web feature on the new phone is pretty useful as well if you go that way. whatever you do, DON't get Cingular, I have heard nothing but crap about them and have seen people lose signal in the middle of highly populated cities numerous times.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sireousrex - how is the GMS system? I currently still have AT&T but I was told by the rep that it isn't fully developed yet in the Northeast and was recommended to stay away.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend just got a GMS phone in San Fran and now his reception differs on either side of his apartment. That's a difference of about 8 feet. He's pretty unhappy with it.

I have a sprint PCS (I hate sprint!). I would change, but right now my night and weekend minutes start at 8 pm and all the new plans start them at 9 pm. So if I change I'd loose
60 minutes x 22 days/month---1320 minutes that are currently free. My daytime minutes are currently 300. $39.99

I did see verison with 1000 anytime mins for 39.99
and 1000 anytime for 49.99 with basically unlimited night and weekend minutes today at best buy.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:03 PM

I like it. It isnt fully developed, suposedly, but I have had zero problems so far. I have also noticed that whether I have one bar or 5 of reception, it all sounds great. They will not be upgrading digital towers now, only the GMS towers so digital service will remail status quo, GMS will improve greatly.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by sireousrex
...whatever you do, DON't get Cingular...
i've got cingular, and you're right, they are crap. I have very little problems with service, and i can usually get enough signal to make a call, especially in a crowded city. I lose signal out where i live, still enough to make a call, but depends on where in town i am. i can't get any at my girls house a mile down the road. Their customer service is not worth $hit. verizon is what i hear the most about, it's what most everyone else has.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by 4Cars1Teenager

i've got cingular, and you're right, they are crap. I have very little problems with service, and i can usually get enough signal to make a call, especially in a crowded city. I lose signal out where i live, still enough to make a call, but depends on where in town i am. i can't get any at my girls house a mile down the road. Their customer service is not worth $hit. verizon is what i hear the most about, it's what most everyone else has.
Agreed:

Cingular is horrible!

I switched to Verizon and am much more satisfied.
Old 03-08-2003, 03:52 PM

When WorldCom went Chapter 11, they switched me to Cingular. I called Cingular to tell them I was switching to Verizon and they told me that I had to pay a cancellation fee of $175. I never signed a contract with Cingular and was a WorldCom customer for almost 4 years. This is illegal and I have a legal eagle friend writing them a letter for me.

When I was automatically switched over to these thieves, I literally received a notice of the change over on a Friday, a first Cingular bill on Saturday, and a late notice on the following Monday with a penalty for late payment. That was over six months ago and I am still refusing to pay the penalty.

Cingular's customer service department is terrible and I have spoken with a lot of different reps.

Stay away from Cingular.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:17 PM

I use sprint. We have two phones. The samsung gives the best reception. There are dead areas, but no carrier I found covers well here. Free long distance. Nextel is too expensive. If you have been with sprint for 9 months you can get a new phone with the current rebates for almost nothing and no activation charge.

Quick Reply: Cell phone service commentary appriciated [sic]...