New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Car Audio Tips

Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Audio Tips

I decided to put my old sub from my prelude into my S. I paired it with a Pioneer MVH-8200BT HU. I got it all hooked up and sounds decent.

So now... I wanted to upgrade my front speakers with some component speakers with tweeters (Alpine Type-Rs). Problem is my existing amp is only 2 channel so it's already using LPF to give me the cleanest bass. Now here are my questions.

Just how bad will the speakers sound if they were powered by the head unit?
Is there anyway to use my existing amp to power the speakers and sub without losing quality of sound?
If I were to purchase a second amp (300 watt) just for the speakers, Will that drain my battery? Or hurt anything else in the car?

I'm not looking into buying a 4 channel amp, just because most of the good ones i've seen are a couple hundred. And the speakers itself are already a couple hundred. So just to save money.. im taking off a 4 channel amp as an option.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by RedSunS2K
I decided to put my old sub from my prelude into my S. I paired it with a Pioneer MVH-8200BT HU. I got it all hooked up and sounds decent.

So now... I wanted to upgrade my front speakers with some component speakers with tweeters (Alpine Type-Rs). Problem is my existing amp is only 2 channel so it's already using LPF to give me the cleanest bass. Now here are my questions.

Just how bad will the speakers sound if they were powered by the head unit?
Is there anyway to use my existing amp to power the speakers and sub without losing quality of sound?
If I were to purchase a second amp (300 watt) just for the speakers, Will that drain my battery? Or hurt anything else in the car?

I'm not looking into buying a 4 channel amp, just because most of the good ones i've seen are a couple hundred. And the speakers itself are already a couple hundred. So just to save money.. im taking off a 4 channel amp as an option.
My rule of thumb.......NEVER EVER EVER power separates from a head unit. I knew better but still did it anyways and the speakers blew within 2 years.(woofers) Put in a nice Pioneer set of speakers and am happy.

Can you power the fronts off the one amp that also powers the sub? Not without wiring in crossovers to separate the audio out but that's a pain and I have never liked that as audio quality is never the same.(IMO)

Get yourself a good 2 channel amp and the separates should have a cross over for the front speakers.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Jim said or save for a decent 4 channel. I run my components and sub off one 4 channel and couldn't be happier.