New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Calling on the Wash n Wax gurus

Old 03-24-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling on the Wash n Wax gurus

I was looking for feedback relating to the order of car detailing activities and selected products. I wanted to put this out locally instead of the Wash n Wax forum as there are so damn many opinions regarding products. Plus we got a few pretty knowledgeable folks here.
The S needs a good thorough detailing. I
Old 03-24-2007, 04:54 PM

That kit from XMT has everyhting you need, but it may be cheaper to just buy the stuff separatly since they are throwing in towels and stuff. if you are going to get the edge kit it comes with pad spray and cleaner too. A high quality set of MF towels is absolutly needed too. Don't scrimp on cheap towels and take care of them, otherwise they will induce swirls later.

- Fill your chips in first. There is a thread on this site about how to do it right, it should be in the wash and wax FAQ
- Washing with Dawn doesn't matter, especialy since you are going to clay/polish afterward. Dawn just removes wax and grease, which wil be done in the clay step and polishing anyway.
-Polish accroding to what you need. Start out less aggressive and move up only if needed.
-After polishing, you absoulutly positively must wax or apply a sealant like klasse or zaino. After polishing there is NOTHING to protect the paint. Do not confuse polish with protectants like wax and sealants.

I had good success with the XMT polishes and I seem to like the Pinnacle Souveran wax too, but it is not cheap.

As far as tutorials, MikeyC's guide is great. The video links to the washing and polishing videos are how I learned. I posted them in this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=474127

Pay special attention to the washing and drying video. If you are not willing to wash and dry with extreme care, the swirls WILL be back before you know it. Like the first time you wash wrong actualy. So, if you are going to polish them swirls out, listen to what they say about the products, amterials and methods in that video. MikeyC recomended Optimum car wash to me, and I love it. Has a very high lubricity whuch helps get that dirt off without making more swirls.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks Jeff...

I selected the XMT #3 for intermediate swirls. They might be more severe than that but honestly, I have no idea whats severe vs moderate swirls etc... Ive never done more than a basic wash and wax before so I am jumping light years ahead of anything I've done in the past. My biggest concern are all the chips. I have seen a few different threads with different ways to repair them and some are WAY beyond what I am willing to try. The touchup123 didnt seem extreme.
I have some mf towels, I might need a few more.

I will take a closer look at what products are included and overall costs to save.

My wife thinks I am a loon doing research on how to wash a car...
Old 03-24-2007, 05:19 PM

The best method of chip repair to me seemed to be the paint pen application, followed by letting the paint cure for about 16 hours, then clay the area to level the paint out with the surrounding area. There is a thread somehwere, and I need to find it because I have a few chips myself.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 PM

I think I read that thread using the paint pen or a thread about it and some people mentioned that the paint at times bubbled up and was sort of a pimpled look. Some then went on to wet sant and polish... Thats not anything I wanted to try.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:51 PM

Shug,

I agree with 99.999% of what Jeff has already said. Especially the part about my guide being great.

XMT #3 should knock out most of your swirls but you may need 2-3 applications if they're deep (crossing my fingers for one application). Try it with different pads to make the polish more/less aggressive according to your needs.

As far as touching up your chips . . . I would probably do that 2nd to last (last step being wax or sealant). Since you're using touchup123 it's a different application style than traditional touch up paint. It's more like waxing a car (i.e. wipe on, let cure, wipe off). It should leave a smooth surface without any blobs.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Thanks Mikey. I have read your guide in the past quickly and have it bookmarked for reference to go over again before I do this.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyC' date='Mar 24 2007, 09:51 PM
I agree with 99.999% of what Jeff has already said. Especially the part about my guide being great.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:31 PM

Also in addition some folks add wax on top of polish for that extra. I never tried it. Just ended it with polish.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by paivag' date='Mar 24 2007, 10:31 PM
Also in addition some folks add wax on top of polish for that extra. I never tried it. Just ended it with polish.
I think you mean sealant George. Polish removes scratches, sealant (zaino) protects. Not trying to be anal, but I don't want shug to be confused.

Quick Reply: Calling on the Wash n Wax gurus