anyone use "mint.com"

Old 09-09-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

^Oh, you have people.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Sep 9 2009, 09:31 PM
^Oh, you have people.
The granddaughter folding towels for me, and making me peanut butter crackers when I was wearing a sling is not "people." Or is it?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use it but the iPhone app is less than stellar. was hoping for similar functionality as the website. always have difficulty with ING linking if you happen to have an account with ING as well.

definitely helps me see my financial picture and breaking down my expenses. Damn Dunkin Donuts runs in the morning really add up
Old 09-09-2009, 06:03 PM

not too concerned about the website security, but i did add the security lock to my iPhone after installing the Mint app just as a precaution.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:27 AM

so i've been using this site since I posted this thread and I have to say it's an excellent resource if you want to get a handle on where all your money goes.

I have all my info in it so I can see what my monthly spending is like and I put in budgets for myself so I can see where I'm spending too much money, etc... It has really cool charting abilities so I can see graphically where I spend most of my money in a given month.

And since it keeps track of all your transactions month to month, you can compare how you did this month vs previous months and trend your spending on anything and everything.

Definately worth it
Old 12-31-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

J, did you have to give account information to the web site, or did you just download software onto your computer and do it all from your own PC?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine swears by mint.com.

He kept pushing me to use it, but have my own method and I only look at my overall finances about once a month. I didn't find a need for mint.com since my financial situation is not complicated.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Dec 31 2009, 10:00 AM
J, did you have to give account information to the web site, or did you just download software onto your computer and do it all from your own PC?
you have to throw in your account # and password because it uses that info to download all your transactions from your other financial accounts.

That is probably the hardest part for people to get over. You have to keep in mind that mint.com doesn't keep these acount #'s and pwd's themselves but actually stores them with Yodlee. Yodlee is also used by Fidelity and BofA so if you have an account with either one of those, your account info is already in Yodlee. Here is a good explaination on their security.

"In the end you have to do what you feel comfortable with. Yodlee’s servers are many times more secure than most people’s home computers. Take that into consideration when considering the on-line aggregators versus something like Quicken’s desktop version. Consider your bank’s and other financial institutions position on using such services."

http://www.brokegradstudent.com/mint-myths-debunked/

http://www.elusivewealth.com/2009/06/15/ho...nt-aggregators/
Old 12-31-2009, 07:18 AM
mas

I find that I can get this info by simply logging into my BOA account. I can see where my money is going - mostly to Starbucks!

Am I missing the added benefit of mint.com? If I had multiple accounts I would simply export the data and use an app on my own computer.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mas,Dec 31 2009, 11:18 AM
I find that I can get this info by simply logging into my BOA account. I can see where my money is going - mostly to Starbucks!

Am I missing the added benefit of mint.com? If I had multiple accounts I would simply export the data and use an app on my own computer.
like I said, it's not for everyone if you think you have a handle on your finances. But for myself, I have

multiple credit cards
multiple investment accounts
multiple bank accounts
student loans

having one view on everything and seeing how it all flows is very beneficial.

Quick Reply: anyone use "mint.com"