New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

anyone been to AZ or Cali?

Old 10-22-2004, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone been to AZ or Cali?

Hey all, my wife and I are going to Phoenix and then Cali and need some help, recommendations, any data would be great.

We are spending 4 days on Phoenix, any special things to so, see, places to eat? Then taking a train from FlagStaff AZ to LA.... anyone know anything about Fragstaff? Have a full day there as the train leaves at 10pm.... or anything near Flagstaff we can drive to see or do... plan to maybe eat out and hit some bars and booze it up a bit and then sleep on the train to LA (leaves ay 10pm and get to LA at 8:20am next day)

In LA renting a car and driving the Pacific Coast HIGHWAY with overnight stops in Carmel, Santa Barbara and then end up in San Fran for a few days and nights, then a day or so in Nappa region....

any advice you can offer, things to see and do on the way, places to see or not worth seeing.... places or activities in these cities and on this trip all would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Steve

HELP we are clueless about these areas....
Old 10-22-2004, 07:36 AM

when you're in carmel do the 7 mile drive through pebble beach. well worth it!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:24 AM

Oh don't forget Napa valley when you get to San Fran. Also in Santa Barbara do a sunset stroll on the pier. Very nice. They have a decent restaurant there too.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:25 AM

I'm going to San Fran on Sunday for 2 weeks
Old 10-22-2004, 07:29 PM

If you're going to be in Flagstaff, hed down to Sedona. It's a groovy little town with some gorgeous stone towers, a beautiful river and terrific hiking.

You'll also be just a couple hours from the grand canyon. If you haven't been, definitely see it.

As for the San Fran leg, you can't go wrong. The food, the scenery--it's all good. (I'll be there again next weekend). If you're ging to be in SF for halloween, do not miss the parade in the Castro--the costumes will blow your mind.

For any easy hike, drive up rt 1 (you'll wish you had your S) and check out the massive redwoods at muir woods, then hit Stinson beach. Then stop at Sausolito for dinner on the way home.

have fun!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:42 PM

I was in Phoenix for three nights this summer and stayed at the Hotel San Carlos downtown. This is a funky older hotel 3 blocks from the civic center and Diamondback stadium. It dates back to the 20's and has things like the Ingrid Bergman suite. This was THE palce to stay in the 30's and 40's. I got a great deal on flight and hotel through Travelocity. Sedona is supposed to be a great spot tp sight see and shop. Phoenix is a world removed from New England. Completely different geography. Yeah, it was a dry heat compared to most of our 90+ days. Unlike cities out here, the street name and arragement actually make sense, so getting around is easy. The city is very business oriented. Most peoplpe who live there are in the outskirts. "Residential" areas seemed to be seriously depressed and riven with severe poverty and homelessness.

In LA, if you are at all into natural history, get to the La Brea Tar Pits and Museum downtown. Universal Studios was a hoot when we were there in 1988 or 89. They were still doing the Miami VIce action show, had Columbo's car, the Bates Motel Home and featured the shark from Jaws on the tram ride. (This was a secondary stop on a visit to frinds in San Diego.)

Enjoy your trip.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:17 PM

We just did a trip to Napa and Carmel then back down PCH and home. Here is a link to my thread in Vintage forum showing some of the scenery along PCH.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=243612

You can visit Hearst Castle in San Simeon it is right off of PCH. If you don't want to continue north to Napa but still want to visit a few wineries and do some tasting Santa Barbara has some very nice wineries.

Once you get to Carmel, Monterey is right next door. You can visit Cannery Row and the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Then drive the 17 mile drive from Monterey to Carmel along the pacific past Pebble Beach. There are tons of restaurants and shops in Carmel. Visit the Hogs Head in Carmel. It's a neat place and used to be owned by Clint Eastwood.

Have a great trip. Your gonna love the drive up PCH.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:11 AM

I should have read your post a little closer. You do plan on going to Napa. In Napa Valley be sure to visit Sterling Vineyards. It is at the north end of the Valley. You ride a gondola up the hill to the winery. There is a beautiful view of the Napa Valley from there. Be sure to look in the wine country brochures for the two for one coupon for Sterling. They charge $15.00 each for the gondola ride which includes the wine tasting. It is worth it for $15.00 for two but $30.00 is pushing it.

If your interested in nature there is the Old Faithful of California Geyser in Geyserville. Again at the north then of the valley. Also near Sterling is the petrified forest. I haven't been there but it sounded like fun.

When we were there we rode the Napa Valley Wine train. It is basically a moving restaurant that goes from the town of Napa to St. Helena and back. The cars are old restored vintage rail cars and the food is very good. Sit back enjoy a ride through Napa Valley, eat some great food, and drink some great wine. Their web site is:

http://www.winetrain.com

The web site says for dress code a jacket is suggested but not required. I wore a jacket and tie and was overdressed. Business casual would be fine. Many people wore jeans.

One of our favorite wineries was V. Sattui in St. Helena. They are a small family owned winery with great wines. You can only buy their wines at the winery or on their web site.

http://www.vsattui.com/

Speaking of which if you want to buy wines on line or direct from the winery when you return home make sure that you get on the mailing list of any winery you think you might want to purchase from. California wines cannot be sold direct and shipped to Massachusetts. HOWEVER there is a loop hole. If you get on the wineries mailing list while you are there then you can order direct no problem.

We ran into this with my mom who lives in Pittsfield.

Have fun and let me know if I can be of any help while you are here.

Sure whish I could have made it home for the fall colors. Maybe next year.

GO Redsox!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fishmen's wharf in SF is always a delight, try the boiled crabs there.....yummy! If you like Chinese food, don't forget to go to the Chinatown there. Great foods and even greater prices. Hmm.....me like to go there too!
Old 10-26-2004, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Oct 26 2004, 12:13 PM
Fishmen's wharf in SF is always a delight, try the boiled crabs there.....yummy! If you like Chinese food, don't forget to go to the Chinatown there. Great foods and even greater prices. Hmm.....me like to go there too!
A few other SF suggestions. Drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and when you get on the Marin County side and you can exit the freeway and go up a hill (left side of the freeway heading north) that overlooks the bridge. There is an old fort up there. The pre WWII gun emplacements are still there. It is now a park. This hill overlooking the bridge is where many of the now famous Golden Gate in the fog pictures have been taken. It is very nice and very windy, bring jackets.

Also in Marin county is Muir Woods (not sure if I spelled it right). Named after John Muir. It is a grove of California Costal Redwoods. It is a very beautiful walk through an old grove of very large redwood trees. This time of year there should be very few people. If you like nature it is only 30 - 40 minutes north of SF and a wonderful experience.

Quick Reply: anyone been to AZ or Cali?