New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Another Poor New England Seller

Old 09-05-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CTMechE,Sep 5 2008, 05:02 PM
My personal, and irrelevant, opinion is that the seller did show poor form. While there's obviously no promise, the phrase "I still have it, let me know when you want to get it" would imply that it is yours to come get. While it is merely an implication, it is the most logical one given the one sentence he wrote.

He should have told you he will sell to the first person who shows up with cash if that was his intent all along. It'd have taken 3 more seconds to say so, or establish phone contact to make sure you're actually going to show up and not waste his time.

When I sell stuff or give stuff away on my company classifieds, I write down who contacts me in chronological order. I tell them their ranking, and offer to them in turn if deals fall through.
I'm not saying the seller wasn't a jerk - I wouldave been pissed. Still - there was poor communication on both sides.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

krecik off-topic question here you are a gold member and have been on s2ki for over 3 years. Why no active participation in the forum from you? Im curious why no participation?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by CTMechE,Sep 5 2008, 01:02 PM
While there's obviously no promise, the phrase "I still have it, let me know when you want to get it" would imply that it is yours to come get. While it is merely an implication, it is the most logical one given the one sentence he wrote.
Especially when my next question was when and I was given a range of times to meet and a phone number!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LazyProfessor,Sep 5 2008, 04:59 PM
I lost a sale on an ATV once ( a personal sale mind you) because I told a person inquiring I had someone interested. The original person interested flaked, I called the second person back and he had found another ATV elsewhere. When someone offers you the money - take it!
True, but that's also the difference between a business and a personal sale. Businesses ask for contracts and deposits for a reason.

Selling on a forum and selling on Craigslist are a bit different in my mind as well. Usually the comeraderie amongst the car people will lead you to make a modest effort as a seller to accommodate a fellow S2ki-er buying your stuff. Stranger or not. You still have the part to sell if it falls through, you're not missing business quotas if it takes a few more days to sell it.

And besides, some better communication on the seller's part could have solved this, which I think is the real crux of this scenario.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To elaborate my position, I'll highlight my own for sale post for the wine fridge.

I posted it here first, but I have not yet posted it anywhere else. If, after a week or so, nobody contacts me, I will post on Craigslist and then link to the ad as a follow-up in the For Sale post here. But that way, people here will know.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by CTMechE,Sep 5 2008, 05:08 PM
True, but that's also the difference between a business and a personal sale.
My sale was not business related whatsoever.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by LazyProfessor,Sep 5 2008, 05:02 PM
Love my camera!

Becky's Rabbit
everything becky has is cute
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Sep 5 2008, 01:06 PM
krecik off-topic question here you are a gold member and have been on s2ki for over 3 years. Why no active participation in the forum from you? Im curious why no participation?
I am a daily lurker that enjoys watching the lively New England Banter. Being a lurker is just my personality.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Krecik,Sep 5 2008, 05:30 PM
I am a daily lurker that enjoys watching the lively New England Banter. Being a lurker is just my personality.

Somtimes thats the smart choice, carry on but do come to a meet sometimes and meet your fellow nes2ki owners
Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Bad form to set up a date and then sell it without telling you. But that's it.

Quick Reply: Another Poor New England Seller