New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

2nd Gear grind at lower RPM's

Old 08-31-2004, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billman fixed my 1 to 2nd gear grind. There is a adjusment you can do on the clutch...pm him for details.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:44 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jojipoji,Aug 31 2004, 01:16 PM
Billman fixed my 1 to 2nd gear grind. There is a adjusment you can do on the clutch...pm him for details.
Hi George. I found this thread that seems to cover the issues. I may give this adjustment a try myself.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...utch+adjustment
Old 08-31-2004, 06:48 PM

i dont know much of the detail, but i believe he said something was loose, which was causing some 1 to 2 shift grinds (occured at least 20 times). Since he adjusted it, no grinds.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:54 AM
mas

Please be very carefull when palying around with the clutch pedal height adjustment. In the thread link posted above, make sure you read the warning from gernby!

If you think the pedal is not depressing all the way, there's a quick and easy way to find out. Just take out the rubber stopper where the pedal hits the floor. That should give you a bit extra push in. Drive around like that and if it's any better you can put the stopper back and raise the pedal height.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:13 AM

Received 1,402 Likes on 839 Posts

Well guys, here's the deal...First, change the clutch fluid. Second, using a 12mm open end wrench, set the clutch rod under the dash to zero freeplay. Back in the day, manual clutches needed a certain amount of freeplay to keep the pressure plate from dragging on the throwout bearing and causing premature wear. Hydraulic clutches are designed differently. When adjusted correctly, you should barely be able to see the rod move in the back of the master when applying light finger pressure.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:31 AM

Received 1,402 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by mas,Sep 1 2004, 06:54 AM
Please be very carefull when palying around with the clutch pedal height adjustment. In the thread link posted above, make sure you read the warning from gernby!

If you think the pedal is not depressing all the way, there's a quick and easy way to find out. Just take out the rubber stopper where the pedal hits the floor. That should give you a bit extra push in. Drive around like that and if it's any better you can put the stopper back and raise the pedal height.

Good luck!
This is bad advice. First, this is not a pedal height adjusment. The engage/disengagement point is set by the height of the fingers of the pressure plate and is not adjustable by external means. Second, don't take out the stopper.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billman250,Sep 1 2004, 12:13 PM
Well guys, here's the deal...First, change the clutch fluid. Second, using a 12mm open end wrench, set the clutch rod under the dash to zero freeplay. Back in the day, manual clutches needed a certain amount of freeplay to keep the pressure plate from dragging on the throwout bearing and causing premature wear. Hydraulic clutches are designed differently. When adjusted correctly, you should barely be able to see the rod move in the back of the master when applying light finger pressure.
Thanks for stopping over Billman250!!

looks like some sound advice
Old 09-01-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Sep 1 2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks for stopping over Billman250!!

looks like some sound advice

THANK YOU BILL!

Old 09-01-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by billman250,Sep 1 2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks Billman. Two questions if you are checking this thread:

1. When you change the fluid do you just bleed it through and keep adding fresh stuff until it bleeds out clean, or do you suck the old stuff out of the master with a turkey baster first, refill with the fresh stuff, and then bleed it out.

2. I looked at my free play adjustment last night. It looked like the end of the rod was alrady just about flush with the inside of the u shaped connector that it is threaded into. Is that normal? Is it ok to back that rod out further? I'm afraid there won't be enough threads to hold it in.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:05 PM

I know I'm not Billman But I'll toss my two cents in here

1. Both are appropriate ways of flushing the clutch fluid. But the Tureky Baster option just saves time.

2. How much play do you see with light finger pressure?

Quick Reply: 2nd Gear grind at lower RPM's