New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

150th anniversary of the Mt Washington Auto Road

Old 06-24-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150th anniversary of the Mt Washington Auto Road

Climb to the Clouds – A legendary event is born!

http://www.climbtotheclouds.com/

Now billed as one of the oldest motorsports events in the United States, the Climb to the Clouds was first run in 1904, seven years before the first 500-mile race at the Brickyard in Indianapolis and 12 years prior to the inaugural Pikes Peak Hillclimb in Colorado. Run sporadically throughout the years, many famous racecar drivers and automobile manufacturers have competed in the event through its’ colorful history.

In 1904, the first year of the Mt. Washington Hillclimb, Freelan E. Stanley from Newton, Massachusetts, co-creator of the famous Stanley Steamer, drove his 6-horsepower, 800-pound steam-powered car to the summit of Mt. Washington only to be beaten by Harry Harkness from New York. Driving a 40-horsepower Mercedes that weighed 2,200 pounds, Harkness posted a winning time in 1904 of 24 minutes, 37 and 3/5 seconds.

Since that first year of competition, many well-known drivers have competed and won the Climb to the Clouds such as “Cannonball” Baker in 1928 & 1932 and the legendary Carroll Shelby in 1956. Driving a Franklin in 1928, Baker raced to an amazing time of 14:49.6 seconds. Carroll Shelby, driving a specially prepared Ferrari roadster in 1956, posted a record-setting run of 10:21.8 seconds on his way to victory.

In 1961 Bill Rutan from Connecticut drove his Porsche-powered Volkswagen to another new record time of 9:13.0 seconds that would stand for 29 years – until the return of the race in 1990 when a Rally driver named Tim O’Neil from Franconia, NH drove his 300+ horsepower all-wheel-drive Volkswagen Rally Golf to the summit in an amazing time of just 7 minutes and 45 seconds.

Following the return of the Mt. Washington Hillclimb in 1990 after a 29-year hiatus, the event was run annually as part of the Mt. Washington Auto Road’s summer event schedule until 2001. During that time, several new records were shared between 8-time Sports Car Club of America National Rally Champion Paul Choiniere from Shelburne, Vermont and multi-time Canadian Rally Champion Frank Sprongl from Mississauga, Ontario.

However, the overall record that stands today was set in 1998 by Sprongl. Driving his 500 horsepower all-wheel-drive Audi Quattro S2, Sprongl covered the 7.6 mile course to the summit of 6,288 foot Mt. Washington in a blistering time of 6 minutes, 41.99 seconds.

Now in 2011, 107 years after it was first run, the legendary Mt. Washington Hillclimb returns. Not only to help celebrate the Mt. Washington Auto Road’s 150th anniversary as the Nation’s oldest man-made attraction, but as a tribute to the many talented drivers from around the country and the world who have tested not only their skills, but their automobiles, at what can arguably be referred to as one of the toughest automobile hillclimb events in all the world!

I will be up there on Sunday first thing . You can find me either walking around or in the SCCNH tent . We did Sponsor a local Hillclimber Chris D.and his 2000 S2000 only one I know of in the event He currently hold first in points in his class with Hillclimb.org and forth overall. For those that don't know or understand what this event is. Think Pikes Peak hillclimb race , now make it more technical and dangerous .

Old 06-24-2011, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat.

Did the guy do any mods to the S2000 to prep for the event? I would think switching to another final drive gear or something would help (like 4.77's), especially considering the limited amount of torque and the course being a hill climb.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 AM

Stock power is more than enough for his class. Car is fully caged. Car is already a hillclimb racer , not its first event he owns two S2k's One for the street and this one .

I sponsered him with a full Motul fluids package, HAWK BLUE brake pads and I made him the stickers that he needed free of charge.

Here is a pic so you can see the cage . This was at the event at Ascutny that I did in the CRX last year. This year though he is running custom cut Hoosier A6 tires on a set of Enkei's

Plus gears do not change the TQ output of your car. it mutiplies the TQ to the ground . But after 1st gear the next 5 gears are no different than the first 5 gears with the 4.10. You will never put it back into first and the car has plenty of power to launch.

Grip and talent will always win over power unless you want to go straight . If I were to do gears it would be a 4.44 or 4.57 just to change the range of each gear to suit a paticular track.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Travis Pastrana now holds the record up the road. He set it last year in an STi. There is some you tube action of his run availible. I wish it was not so far for me. I would love to come see this!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM

it is not a offical record. It has to be done on at a sanctioned event. Car has to be classed and tech'd within the rules of said class. It has be done where others are allowed to make the attemp on the same days conditions.

Plus sections of the road have been paved since the last time that the event was ever run. So beating it by 20sec is not as big a deal. expecialy in a car with 13year newer tech.

I respect the time and give him credit for a great job. The current record is 6 minutes, 41.99 seconds, set by Frank Sprongl of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, driving an Audi S2 in 1998.

What I do find funny is he did this in preperation for this event . But he is not on the list of registered drivers to make it a offical record ?? would love to see him actually do it .
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 PM

Sorry!! I wasn't trying to discount anybody's previous efforts. I certainly can't speak for any one entered or not but any of the times are fantastic. I think you will find that more of Pikes Peak is paved every year but still no one has broken the 10 minute barrier so pavement is not always a godsend.
I hope everyone has a safe and fun event. My hats are off to all the sponsors, clubs, sanctioning bodies drivers and fans.
Again I meant no offense. Just had some info to share
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 AM

No offence taken. The guys that live for these events get a little bent over the Travis claim when no one else was allowed run the road in over 10 years.

Kinda like Ken Block. The Gymkana videos make him look like the world best driver. Editing is your friend But his race results tell a different story. Once he runs with the big dogs he normally ends up like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GW8JUX25fQ

Like I said. I would have loved to see Travis at this event to set the record and claim the spot. He is kinda like a local now with Rally New England.

TRAVIS > KEN I love the rivalry and it definaly helps bring attention to the sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNnLN...ature=youtu.be

I bought a car this year for hill climbs as I had so much fun last year co driving someone elses car. But I have not found time to prep it yet or the swap I want
Old 06-26-2011, 05:55 AM

I had seen the Pastrana promo video just a few days ago. What a hoot! Good to have a boss you can poke a little fun of huh?
Editing makes everybody look like a star! I have seen Ken Block have quite a few offs during competition but he is giving it his all right? One of my HDPE instructors recently affirmed my notion that if you never spin/go off you just aren't trying enough.
Do they bring people up and down the hill for different viewing during the event or are you stuck where you are for the duration(other than walking)? I would prefer getting several vantage points including paddock/staging.
Have a great time!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Looks like the 10 min mark at pikes peak fell this weekend. I can't wait. To see some video of that
Old 06-27-2011, 03:19 AM

Yes in-between the run they had shuttles to bring people to different areas. did you make it up ??? Travis called after Higgins broke the record the first time with a 6.19 saying if he can do it under 6 min he was'nt trying hard enough... LOL

New record was set by his team mate. David Higgins twice. 6m 11.54 sec.is the new time to beat . New top speed record was also set that day from someone else of 114mph.

Quick Reply: 150th anniversary of the Mt Washington Auto Road