NES2KO Marketplace For Sale section for New England - Members Only

Why doesn't Obama get it?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Why doesn't Obama get it?

I'm tired of the kiss a__ title of Steve's thread. And I don't agree that it has been great at all.

Why doesn't Obama get it? All the far lefties here said "vote for the smartest candidate." Ok, now what? He has not impressed me at all. Tons of time and money spent on his social welfare agenda while the economy continues to tank. All he has done is gone to town hall meetingss and congress to tell everyone "I inherited this problem." So what? When is he going to do something about it?

Economic Recovery Bill? Nope. That's Pelosi and it isn't about economic recovery at all. It is just a bunch of money for the unemployed and state budgets, tax breaks and government payments for the poor, a tiny tax break for middle class and only about 10% of the infrastructure spending the country needs.

Omnibus spending bill? Nope! That's just $400B in pork.

Mortgage rescue plan? Nope. That's $275B to help pay the mortgage of people who lost their jobs or got hosed in the down turn (and I hope no money for people that had no right to buy houses that were way out of their price range)

2009 budget? Nope. Just another $3.6T in spending, and almost half of it is deficit.

Promise to cut the deficit in half in four years? Nope. Just an empty promise with no plan.

Bank bail out plan? Nope. NO PLAN and NO MONEY.

$650B earmark for universal health? Nope. That won't fix what is wrong with the economy. And just like the Economic Recovery Act, it is being sold with scare tactics.

Guantanamo, Afghanistan, Stem Cells? WTH does that have to do with the economic collapse?

Maybe some or all of these things he has done are good, and maybe they will help the economy some day. But most of them just cost money we don't have and require further borrowing. And nothing so far addresses the problem.

Fix the economy first.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i disagree with you - he did inherit the problems and I suspect it
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=Bass,Mar 9 2009, 01:04 PM] i disagree with you - he did inherit the problems and I suspect it
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Bill are you ?

I'm not sure I agree with all his actions to date, but I will give things a reasonable chance to work before I condemn his actions. It took quite some time for this mess to bubble over. The mess was brewing when W was in office and he barely admitted more than "tough economic times" to us. I think Mr. Obama "gets it" a heck of a lot better than W ever did.

How can anyone thinks the mess can be "fixed" quickly?

For those who oppose Mr. Obama's actions, where are the ideas/suggestions as to what would work?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Mar 9 2009, 01:12 PM
Bill are you ?

I'm not sure I agree with all his actions to date, but I will give things a reasonable chance to work before I condemn his actions. It took quite some time for this mess to bubble over. The mess was brewing when W was in office and he barely admitted more than "tough economic times" to us. I think Mr. Obama "gets it" a heck of a lot better than W ever did.

How can anyone thinks the mess can be "fixed" quickly?

For those who oppose Mr. Obama's actions, where are the ideas/suggestions as to what would work?
You mean like Steve does with his Obama kiss a__ posts?

As for giving it time, don't hold your breath. None of this stuff is designed to fix the economy. The economy is all about the banks and it has been for months. Well before the election we all knew it was about the financial institutions. This stuff he is doing is just making good on election promisers to give stuff to the poor. Waiting for the Economic Recovery act to stimulate the economy is like taking a couple of asprins to cure male erectile disfunction. The aches and pains might feel a little better, but you ain't going to get down to business any time soon!!!

More comments about W?? I thought he was the worst president EVA!!! What are you saying? Hurrah for Obama, the second worst president eva?

Plus, Obama is extending many Bush policies and outspending Bush by three to one in just the first two months.

Nothing will be fixed quickly, but first you have to do something that will work. See the bad bank idea above. If not that, then something that will take and manage the bad paper.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

=i'm just excited that i finally have a politician i can have hope in .

we need build the economy from the ground up NOT the other way around because clearly that has not worked
Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is one thread I know that wont get closed

Bill gets it and is a much more eloquent speaker than i ever will be. I'll let him do the typing but with every word he has typed here so far.

Lainey as far as the ? what would I do?

First thing is stop spending money we dont have, the people that did that already have gotten us where we are and Obama is just extending the pain. My city submitted a plan to get funds now that they are getting them they are having meetings on what to spend it on. See the moral is once you get $ you lose fiscal responsibility and its even worse when someone hands you those $. The money surely will not be spent on the plan submitted to get it.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=Bass,Mar 9 2009, 01:29 PM] ...
we need build the economy from the ground up NOT the other way around because clearly that has not worked
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM

[QUOTE=Bass,Mar 9 2009, 01:29 PM] ...
banks
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4,035 Likes on 2,682 Posts

ok so I'll weigh in.
Would I like to see more hapenning? yes.
Would I like to have seen more in the stimulus package? yes.
Am I bothered by the pork in the package. maybe a little, spending is spending as it moves money in the economy.
I do think in the long term, you get better bang for the buck on infrastructure however.

So why are they taking so long.
I'd love to see the raw data but I'm not sure they have it.
The problem lies largely with the investment arms of these banks.
CDS's and CDO's were not regulated entities so it is not like there is even a standard manner for evaluating these things.
Ever open up a project and the more you look, the more sh^t you find?
I suspect Citi and BofA may be at the core of the problem.
My concern is they are trying to move forward and keep the cover on an overflowing septic tank.
If they pop the top and the crap starts to overflow there will be panic.

but if we take your bad bank concept and expand it.
How much does the bank get for it's bad assets.
full value? are you F'ing kidding? There is no way, they get to walk away clean.

zero value? time to shutter the windows at that level. ( on the flip side it may be why the government took a 30% position in citi...

somewhere in between?
How do you assign value without creating an ensuing debacle?

I'm all ears.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Obama get it?