The Home Owner
14.29%
The Sheriff Deptartment
85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Homeowner says sheriff ruined her American dream

Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Long, long ago, I stayed in what was a rather new camper trailer overnight. Didn't have asthma symptoms on a regular basis then, but I coughed and my eyes teared up a good part of the night...at the time I didn't know what caused my problem, but I've got a better idea now. My guess, formaldehyde.

Not a surprise that those trailers have caused problems.
42 percent have respiratory infections and disorders that may be linked to formaldehyde.

Obviously this is not something new where trailers are concerned, but too bad that aspect was not investigated a bit more.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:48 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Nov 23 2008, 09:31 PM
timing is everything.
newsweek article about trailers.
"may be linked to formaldehyde"

I agree that formaldehyde may be a factor, however, there are so many other factors that can be part of the sitation too.

Katrina was a major catastrophic event....families lost everything, and the rot/mold decay of the area is also a contributor to respiratory issues.....Anemia, depression, mental health disorders and respiratory disorders can all be linked directly to Katrina and the aftermath.

Also these kids were from the one of the lowest socio-ecenomic classes in the US, income directly correlates to quality of life....
Old 11-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,944 Likes on 2,646 Posts

jeff are you implying formaldehyde is not bad stuff?

If I'm around the stuff for 15 minutes I have a pounding headache and nausea.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Nov 24 2008, 10:34 PM

I hear ya, Jerry. My sister in law had a real bad reaction (respiratory) when their modular home was delivered in FL. All the plastics, and paints, whatever else (formaldehyde?) used in construction really got to her.

It took her quite a while to feel better, until the house had aired out of the various fumes.

If you have any respiratory issues, allergies, etc., smells, paints, smoke, mold, all of those can aggravate the situation.

Katrina was one big mess with all of the above irritants. And it is true that those of a lower income level often have asthma that is not well controlled. They can't afford controller medication, which is expensive.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here i'll post it before george does

they should make more money so they can get better drugs
Old 11-25-2008, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Nov 25 2008, 08:15 AM
here i'll post it before george does

they should make more money so they can get better drugs
Well actually, if they are POOR enough, they get almost free drugs. This fact has also been known to pi$$ of a few folks.

OR maybe they aren't educated enough to realize the importance of taking preventative medication. Of course a preventative inhaler can cost close to $100.00/month or more. No insurance means you don't buy it, and you are more likely to end up in the ER with the tax payer footing the bill.

What's wrong with this picture?

Won't be long before someone tells me.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Lainey,Nov 25 2008, 08:14 AM
I hear ya, Jerry. My sister in law had a real bad reaction (respiratory) when their modular home was delivered in FL. All the plastics, and paints, whatever else (formaldehyde?) used in construction really got to her.

It took her quite a while to feel better, until the house had aired out of the various fumes.
Those are VOCs
Old 11-25-2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cubs2k,Nov 25 2008, 09:06 AM
Those are VOCs
VOC's? what those be?

Google is my friend: Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids. VOCs include a variety of chemicals, some of which may have short- and long-term adverse health effects. Concentrations of many VOCs are consistently higher indoors (up to ten times higher) than outdoors. VOCs are emitted by a wide array of products numbering in the thousands. Examples include: paints and lacquers, paint strippers, cleaning supplies, pesticides, building materials and furnishings, office equipment such as copiers and printers, correction fluids and carbonless copy paper, graphics and craft materials including glues and adhesives, permanent markers, and photographic solutions.

Yep, probably what made her sick.

Edit: I had heard of VOC's before, but didn't know what they actually were. Houses that are supposed to be built "green" require use of non VOC paints. Also recommended for others as well, like pregnant women, I think.

We're having a room painted next month. I hate the smell of paint.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by boltonblue,Nov 24 2008, 10:34 PM
jeff are you implying formaldehyde is not bad stuff?

Where did you get that idea?

formaldehyde is bad, and is known as a possible carcinogen, in high quanitites it can cause all sorts of problems in humans. I'm not disputing that....I'm not disputing the info in the newsweek story.

I'm just pointing out that the study was not definitive with regard to formaldehyde as a cause for the issues seen in the studied class and that there are other very signifcant factors that can be contributing to the health of the individuals of the study.

The study said the formaldehyde may be the problem, but that other factors such as smoking, human activities, use of non venting range, and mold can be factors to respiratory and overall health.

Additionally, current living conditions excluding formaldehyde exposure, lower level of parental care, socio ecenomic factors, the external post Katrina living conditions etc. could signifcantly impact the health of the children in the Newweek article you linked to ......

here is the CDC final report...
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/ehhe/trailerstudy/...FinalReport.pdf
Old 11-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Lainey,Nov 25 2008, 09:07 AM
We're having a room painted next month. I hate the smell of paint.
There seem to be a few paint brands the have low or no VOCs....

I think the can I got from the HD said low VOC formula.....

Quick Reply: Homeowner says sheriff ruined her American dream