NES2KO Marketplace For Sale section for New England - Members Only

Bad economy?

Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it taking longer for these unemployed people to find new work?

things are very bad in some sectors
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 3,180 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I recall folks being laid off over the years. I remember talk of previous recessions, but those recessions never affected us or my family members. I can remember other store/businesses closings and people losing their jobs, but I can't ever recall a time when it was so wide spread. I also can't recall ever personally knowing so many people who had employment issues. Lay offs, reduced hours, pay cuts, etc.

The "talking heads" on the news tell folks it will take much longer to find employment.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Feb 24 2009, 06:20 PM
They are jsut selling assets to pay of debt. Fanuil Hall is onthe block because it is an attractive property that you might be able to sell, even in this economy:

http://wbztv.com/local/faneuil.hall.sale.2.891107.html
Paying off debt is putting it kindly when the operating company, General Growth Properties, is on the verge of bankruptcy after its stock lost 99% of its value in 1 year. The reason they are still afloat is because its lenders have yet to exercised their remedy rights on past due debts.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey,Feb 24 2009, 06:25 PM
I guess it depends on the area. Shaw's closed stores in Brockton, N. Attleboro, CT and RI, and more to come up towards NH way.

It would make sense that they would be busier if folks were eating out less, but if folks are entertaining less and going to BJ's and Wal-Mart for some staple items, the grocery store sales will reflect that.

From what I've heard, some stores are exceeding sales expectations, some meeting and the low performing ones are being shut down.

I'd bet the we'll see the same thing with CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens. Do we really need those on every corner? I don't see how they all stay in business.
if shaws had a viable business model they would not be closing stores... carry on
Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Feb 24 2009, 08:53 PM
if shaws had a viable business model they would not be closing stores... carry on
Dave, I don't see any humor here. People are losing good paying jobs with benefits. Many employees of Circuit City, Macy's as well as other retail companies are now on the unemployment line. Shaw's has been around a very long time, like other companies they review their locations and make business decisions based on business.

Always sad for the employees when this happens. Five of my son's co workers have lost jobs this week.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 3,929 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Jabil just put an half page ad in the globe today thanking the public and apologizing for having to close it's billerica,ma operation.
350 are permanently laid off.
guess they didn't get the memo that the economy is ok.

and if your going to cite a former president it's Reagan.
Don Regan was his secretary of treasury.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Feb 24 2009, 10:15 PM
Dave, I don't see any humor here. People are losing good paying jobs with benefits. Many employees of Circuit City, Macy's as well as other retail companies are now on the unemployment line. Shaw's has been around a very long time, like other companies they review their locations and make business decisions based on business.

Always sad for the employees when this happens. Five of my son's co workers have lost jobs this week.
Lainey, Im not making humor of it. Im expressing my emotions regarding them. I have been in the business for 27 years. Its an inside thing for me.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Feb 24 2009, 09:23 PM
Lainey, Im not making humor of it. Im expressing my emotions regarding them. I have been in the business for 27 years. Its an inside thing for me.
Sorry Dave I don't read it that way. I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Shaw's has been around a VERY long time, and I expect they will be around for a long time to come. It's a good company to work for. They have decent wages, excellent benefits too.

I don't think they've ever been sued for having people work off the clock, like another company out there, maybe that company is the working model you think other companies should use?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:38 PM

Lainey, being sued for alleged infractions and than being an innovator in the retail world are two entirely different things. Neither of which Shaws is. When money is tight people tend to notice the gimmicks and eventually steer away from them. To be viable you need to build your cost out of your business model shaws isnt even close to grasping that concept. Ill end there as I could certainly debate and discuss this way further than I care too. 27 years in the business has taught me to leave it at the door when I leave for a day.

Like I said my response is a personal chuckle lets leave it at that.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Well, you enjoy your personal chuckle at a business issue which resulted in people losing jobs.

I think those "alleged infractions" were no longer "alleged" when those folks won their law suit.

We'd best agree to disagree on this one. You're talking Wal-Mart vs a grocery store. They really are not the same animal.

Quick Reply: Bad economy?