NES2KO Marketplace For Sale section for New England - Members Only

Bad economy?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

not sure a boat show is the place to judge state of economy..people were probably holding off on the purchase as long as possible, yet finally pulled the trigger based on getting their boat for the coming season.

.....from my perspective in a retail bank office.....things are bad. I see and talk to main street everyday....and it ain't pretty.

An interesting side note......I've seen an uptick in people getting divorces...
Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is sad
Old 02-24-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, Jeff

Bill, all you got to do is look out your office window. Retail stores are struggling. Even John Hancock and Faneuil Hall are for sale b/c the NY RE companies that own them have trouble making payments on their loans.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 3,180 Likes on 1,836 Posts

They are closing supermarkets....that should be a sign of something. People are getting by with less, cutting back on everything, looking for bargains, entertaining less.....

I just went to two banks for office business. Neither one had anyone in the drive up lines. Deader than dead.

I know one place that is busy is the local medical practice. Still takes WEEKS to get an appointment with anyone other than a nurse prac. They are constantly expanding. Also, in this economy, people are stressed out and it often seems to trigger physical ailments. They wait longer to go to the doc, are often sicker when they get there and many have lost insurance and can't afford to pay the bills.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoBen,Feb 24 2009, 02:15 PM
I agree, Jeff

Bill, all you got to do is look out your office window. Retail stores are struggling. Even John Hancock and Faneuil Hall are for sale b/c the NY RE companies that own them have trouble making payments on their loans.
They are jsut selling assets to pay of debt. Fanuil Hall is onthe block because it is an attractive property that you might be able to sell, even in this economy:

http://wbztv.com/local/faneuil.hall.sale.2.891107.html
Old 02-24-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Feb 24 2009, 02:20 PM
They are closing supermarkets....that should be a sign of something. People are getting by with less, cutting back on everything, looking for bargains, entertaining less.....

I just went to two banks for office business. Neither one had anyone in the drive up lines. Deader than dead.

I know one place that is busy is the local medical practice. Still takes WEEKS to get an appointment with anyone other than a nurse prac. They are constantly expanding. Also, in this economy, people are stressed out and it often seems to trigger physical ailments. They wait longer to go to the doc, are often sicker when they get there and many have lost insurance and can't afford to pay the bills.
This morning, NPR said grocery stores are doing well, and have increased business in thier prepared foods section because people go there now instead of going out to eat.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Plenty of good jobs coming up for Steve and Puff as product Quality Assurance experts:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/...nn?iref=24hours
Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 3,180 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Feb 24 2009, 05:21 PM
This morning, NPR said grocery stores are doing well, and have increased business in thier prepared foods section because people go there now instead of going out to eat.
I guess it depends on the area. Shaw's closed stores in Brockton, N. Attleboro, CT and RI, and more to come up towards NH way.

It would make sense that they would be busier if folks were eating out less, but if folks are entertaining less and going to BJ's and Wal-Mart for some staple items, the grocery store sales will reflect that.

From what I've heard, some stores are exceeding sales expectations, some meeting and the low performing ones are being shut down.

I'd bet the we'll see the same thing with CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens. Do we really need those on every corner? I don't see how they all stay in business.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cubs2k,Feb 24 2009, 12:55 PM
not sure a boat show is the place to judge state of economy..people were probably holding off on the purchase as long as possible, yet finally pulled the trigger based on getting their boat for the coming season.

.....from my perspective in a retail bank office.....things are bad. I see and talk to main street everyday....and it ain't pretty.

An interesting side note......I've seen an uptick in people getting divorces...
Mass unemployment at 6.9%

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/map.economy/index.html

Not good, but better than when Regan took office. Plus, interest rates are at 5%. Back in Regan's first year it was 12%.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Feb 24 2009, 05:25 PM
From what I've heard, some stores are exceeding sales expectations, some meeting and the low performing ones are being shut down.

I'd bet the we'll see the same thing with CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens. Do we really need those on every corner? I don't see how they all stay in business.
Sounds like business as usual to me.

We are used tounemployment at the 4% level here. That number has increased by 3%, so now unemployment seems huge. When I was a kid, the unemployment rate was generally in the 6s.

Quick Reply: Bad economy?