NES2KO Marketplace For Sale section for New England - Members Only

Bad economy?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

All I'm saying is that no one knows for SURE that the stores they shop
at aren't doing the same stuff that wally world does.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 3,180 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy,Mar 3 2009, 03:01 PM
All I'm saying is that no one knows for SURE that the stores they shop
at aren't doing the same stuff that wally world does.
True! But why is it Wal-Mart is the one that is in the news, vs other retailers?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HARDtoTOP,Mar 3 2009, 03:11 PM
Ben, your argument is that you feel the employees are treated badly. OK, I wonder what your proof is, but I will bite.

So now you (and all the other walmart h8ters) advocate not shopping there. That will teach em'! Put them right out of business or put the hurt on them so they employ less people. I am sure those "poorly treated" workers will feel much better when they are out of work.

Bravo!
Well, first of all, I made it very clearly in my post that I am not telling (or advocating) anybody not to shop there. I don
Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow
Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Mar 3 2009, 03:20 PM
wow

I don't feel so alone any more.........
Old 03-03-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When your the largest company in the world your going to be under a microscope 100% of the time. God forbid if you sneeze in the wrong direction someone will try to sue you but than aain is that a real surprise in out litigious society?

As far as your thoughts on how they treat employees, go work there and stop relying on fabricated reports or old lawsuits etc come back and report firsthand.

Walmart employs over 1.9 million people in all sorts of jobs worldwide. They also directly support many american companies.

Here are some wal-Mart stats for Massachusetts

* In FYE 2008, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc spent $2,329,900,057.00 for merchandise and services with 740 suppliers in the state of Massachusetts. As a result of Wal-Mart's relationship with these suppliers, Wal-Mart supports 56,959 supplier jobs in the state of Massachusetts. "I guess as Steve says it your State sure makes a lot of junk over 2.3 billion worth annually because apparantly as I read it thats all you can find at walmart"

* Supplier figures provided by Dun & Bradstreet.

Taxes and Fees

* Wal-Mart collected on behalf of the state of Massachusetts more than $70.5 million in sales taxes in FYE 2008.
* Wal-Mart paid more than $17.9 million in state and local taxes in the state of Massachusetts in FYE 2008.

So I guess if no one shops there than the Mass economy is going to lose another 57000 jobs and than add in 11,587 walmart workers will be out of work and than you mass residents will have to come up with another revenue stream to replace the almost 18 million in taxes walmart pays to your state treasurer.

Ask yourself can your state afford to be without that? Jeffs city is down a mere 2.9 mill in taxes and there are in a big pickle and have lost a third of the pd. What impact do you think 18 million will make?

Its easy to jump on the I hate Walmart bandwagon its easy to pick on the gorilla.

Why dont you investigate Target, Kmart, Circuit City oops there gone, Best Buy, Lowes, Sears, Shaws and all the rest and see how things are with them.

Ive said enough, but trust me there is not going to be any changing your minds and that is entirely not the intent. The intent is to show some REAL facts and ask you to experience it firsthand and report back thats all.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM

Ahh, but, Dave...if we were to shop elsewhere (and pay a bit more), then wouldn't the same companies that supply Walmart still have jobs (since they still have to supply products). And since the sales prices were higher, would that not provide more sales tax income?

Walmart spent only 2.3billion. How much does Walmart save in their purchases over other retailers (i.e. the little guy)? Say they pay only 90% of what other retailers pay (which is probably actually more than Walmart pays), then that 2.3 billion on products would turn into 2.8 billion (or so) on products that people are still going to go out and buy. Thereby helping their suppliers pay their workers well, and continue to remain viable companies.

Walmart has ZERO regard for the trickle down effects of it's ruthless practices when it comes to purchasing products.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Dave,

You got these stats in your back pocket?? You sound like their PR rep.

Sneeze in the wrong direction? They've done more than sneeze in the wrong direction, when it comes to how they have treated employees. Old lawsuits? This one was JUST SETTLED! Published: December 23, 2008

Wal-Mart said on Tuesday that it would pay at least $352 million, and possibly far more, to settle lawsuits across the country claiming that it forced employees to work off the clock. Several lawyers described it as the largest settlement ever for lawsuits over wage violations.

Not saying other companies don't scre## their employees too, but Wal-Mart seems to be front and center in that department.

What are current stats on how many employees receive benefits? How many buy into the plan? Is it affordable? How long do folks wait to be eligible for insurance? Some of those stats were in the links I posted. What's are the current numbers?

I don't care how much $ they bring into the state, if their presence in ANY area simply crushes the little guy, then how much good did they do? What about all the companies they manged to put out of business, what about those employees? Ben's post makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Mar 3 2009, 09:57 PM
Ben's post makes a lot of sense.
but mine doesn't?

Old 03-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Mar 3 2009, 09:02 PM
but mine doesn't?

Yes, your post was excellent as well. We, who prefer not to shop at Wal-Mart welcome you into the corner....

Quick Reply: Bad economy?