NES2KO Marketplace For Sale section for New England - Members Only

Bad economy?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Bad economy?

I went to the New England Boat Show on Sunday. The reports were that the turn out this year was much greater than expected and that sales were up from last year. I went on the last day, which is usually slow. the place was pretty crowded with lots of families going in at $13 a pop for adults and $7 for kids and $10 for parking. Shuttle buses ran continuously and I had to wait for two of them before I could get on. I saw a couple of salesmen that I knew who said sales went very well this year, and much better than last year. I heard four sales while I was there.

I'll tell you, things are not bad all over.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 3,058 Likes on 1,771 Posts

Come to our area.

As a matter of fact, I know a plumber from the Vineyard with a 40' something....he's talking about keeping his boat on a mooring vs paying the price at a local marina for a slip. Many folks are still hanging on to their $

Maybe some of those boat buying people have not heard about the two happiest days in a boat owner's life.

1. The day your buy it.
2. The day you sell it.

All kidding aside, there are obviously areas in which the economy is not totally in the toilet. Hoping those areas become more widespread soon.

BTW, did you buy a boat?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last two weekends the Mall in Manchester has been PACKED too many people driving like a$$holes. I was like..."What bad economy"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

strange - do you think the salesmen just said that to make you feel better about buying a boat

we have record unemployment and record home foreclosures, car sales are virtually nonexistent and loans are next to impossible to obtain these days unless you
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=Bass,Feb 23 2009, 11:33 AM] strange - do you think the salesmen just said that to make you feel better about buying a boat

we have record unemployment and record home foreclosures, car sales are virtually nonexistent and loans are next to impossible to obtain these days unless you
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey,Feb 23 2009, 11:33 AM
Come to our area.

As a matter of fact, I know a plumber from the Vineyard with a 40' something....he's talking about keeping his boat on a mooring vs paying the price at a local marina for a slip. Many folks are still hanging on to their $

Maybe some of those boat buying people have not heard about the two happiest days in a boat owner's life.

1. The day your buy it.
2. The day you sell it.

All kidding aside, there are obviously areas in which the economy is not totally in the toilet. Hoping those areas become more widespread soon.

BTW, did you buy a boat?
You should move!

This was not a bunch of mopes who don't have any money or understanding of the cost. Most people seemed to be pretty sure of what they were looking at, although I imagine there were a few fist timers. Seriously, every kind and style of boat from Kyaks and inflatables to cabin cruisers and sail boats were drawing a lot of attention.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 AM

"This was not a bunch of mopes who don't have any money or understanding of the cost"

did you poll the attendants
Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bass,Feb 23 2009, 11:54 AM

"This was not a bunch of mopes who don't have any money or understanding of the cost"

did you poll the attendants
You can see them a mile away.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill,Feb 23 2009, 11:45 AM
At the end of the day, I put a deposit down on a small run-a-bout that wasn't even at the show, just to hold the deal until I could go to the dealer and look at it this coming Saturday.
C'mon... gotta give some details! Make? Model? Specs? Link?

It's cold and windy on the CT coast, but I have a good ocean view if I walk to the window...
Old 02-23-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 3,058 Likes on 1,771 Posts

[QUOTE=Legal Bill,Feb 23 2009, 11:47 AM] You should move!

Quick Reply: Bad economy?