Muppets The corner of the UK & Ireland where muppetry happens. Totally off topic, word association, useless stuff and general messing about.

Yet another lane hogger moan.

Old 01-02-2008 | 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KayGT,Jan 2 2008, 05:16 PM
That implies that as much as the police could do you for undertaking, they should equally well pull the hogs for not moving back in ... if only!!!!
If only !!!!!!!

I sometimes make triangles around them when i'm bored.
Have also done the washer spray thing
Also make a point of o/t'ing them and going back to the inside lane sharpish, they sometimes follow
Have also undertaken them

Ultimately none of it makes any difference and life is too short to worry.

It's much more stressful when towing a trailer (as I discovered) as you don't have the luxury of the 3rd lane to overtake them, and nipping up the inside isn't really an option! Instead you get stuck behind the muppets doing about 45-55mph in the middle lane
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by DawnLang,Jan 2 2008, 03:01 PM
...find myself doing it more and more recently due to middle lane morons
Me too.

I use the M25 and M11 every day and there are countless times it's easier to just undertake than move out 2 lanes and pull back in again.

Normally I stick my indicator on and go through on the inside.

Sometimes they even then pull in once I've gone by.

I've only ever seen 1 person get pulled for sitting in the middle lane though.
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jo,

In relation to undertaking I was meaning traffic is going slower than you and at a speed under the limit. I did not intend to suggest you could undertake purely if they are going slower than the limit.

It is always easier to pass on the offside to avoid problems like Lloyd had !

Ultimately though the HC lists it as a 'Do not' as opposed to a 'Must not' .... and until they back it with effective legislation it has to be WDC or nothing .....
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=John57,Jan 2 2008, 06:05 PM]though trying to get through to them is rather frustrating and if stopped almost always results in a 'haven't you got anything else better to do' comment.
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:49 AM

John - no I know

Although highway code says "do not" not "should not" (far too many nots in that sentence !!!)
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh, it's like being married when you are at work....
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:56 AM

Question:

Can you still buy those things for the dash with buttons that you press which make grenade and rocket noises?

Thinking about it, you know like the Corvette C6 has head up display (speedo and rev counter are projected onto the windscreen glass) how about the retro gadget forementioned being more up to date and have a head-up projector so that when you press rocket the offending car looks like it has just blown to bits!!!
Also having the sounds running through a 15" Bose sub for true realism.
Now if that was available they would sell loads even if they are not legal... (John57 close your ears!!!)
Old 01-02-2008 | 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UK_S2000,Jan 2 2008, 05:36 PM
I've only ever seen 1 person get pulled for sitting in the middle lane though.
You won't see people getting pulled for it - for the reasons I have said above .... you get loads of abuse and can do nothing with them ticket wise.

I get loads of grief without stopping people for something I can't effectively deal with or report a driver.

The amount of work an officer does is looked at - general 'stops' to give words of advice re poor lane discliplie are not counted and mean nothing.

Unfortunately, officers will almost always now only stop things if they can ticket / prohibit / seize, etc as then their stop shows on their record of work. Right or wrong you can blame the government for that one ....
Old 01-02-2008 | 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

IIRC much of the HC is not backed up by legislation, and it is not always worthy as a reference guide as to what constitutes appropriate driving

Round here, it is outside lane hoggers on d/c that are the problem, so overtaking in the outside lane before reverting to the inner isn't an option

I now undertake after about 10 seconds as a rule, unless there are exceptional circumstances/I read something about the car or occupants

Most lane hoggers are simply obstructive, not inattentive. This is easily proved by observing their behaviour pre/during the move - blocking, speeding up, etc

Or after the move - light flashing, gestures, rage, etc

This is why, if you are going to do it, you need a car that can really do the job for you, as the move needs to be decisive and accomplished quickly, or you may need the brakes to abort, etc, etc

I will take my chances in Court if ever I'm threatened with prosecution for this. I'm too old to be impressed by a lecture from a young officer (if you really want to piss me off, start with that assumption that you have seen more dead bodies than me ) and points and fines don't really concern me

I don't see why more hoggers aren't pulled. Just because they 'can't' be prosecuted, doesn't mean they can't be bollocked or inconvenienced.

I saw a good example of the latter recently. At least half a dozen drivers had driven in a very selfish, but possibly legal way. Dibble had pulled them over and was making them wait, in order to show them that their selfishness had obviously had the opposite effect.

Old 01-02-2008 | 09:11 AM

Got to admit that on the A180 I undertake every single day. It's dual carriageway and the chimps get into the right hand lane two roundabouts prior to the turn into town and there they sit doing 30mph under the speed limit.

I've done the same as someone else said earlier where on a motorway I've overtaken them correctly, moved in front of them and then gone into the left hand lane as a sort of 'look - this is where you should be moron' - I think sometimes they get on a motorway and daren't move lane for fear of hitting something. Retraining definitely required.

In the meantime though Lloyd - chill

Quick Reply: Yet another lane hogger moan.