Muppets The corner of the UK & Ireland where muppetry happens. Totally off topic, word association, useless stuff and general messing about.

Yet another lane hogger moan.

Old 01-02-2008 | 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Six,Jan 2 2008, 05:12 PM
When I stay at Zoes I travel from north Birmingham to south, on a normal day with school traffic I can expect between 3 and 10 counts of total incompetence or just being cut-up on purpose, that makes it so difficult to remain calm. I will try though.
Are you in the porche? (Sic)
It's sad, but to be expected when owning that particular marque.
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I often do 1000 miles a week.
Odlly I only notice this bulk of this behaviour at weekends and a little more at commuter rush hour. All day its normally pretty good.

But hey, it bugs me to lloyd.
But then, I am forty next year so it may be hormonal...
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:31 AM

I am not sure the gym helps, they say it beats off stress helping you to keep calm and handle stressful situations. I am begining to think the increase in Testosterone is making me more agressive though?
One for me to look into I think.
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fletch,Jan 2 2008, 02:46 PM
I could be talking balls.
You? Never!

Old 01-02-2008 | 07:37 AM

It's getting worse with old age as well
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not in itself an offence to undertake but you 'shouldn't' I think is the wording used in the Highway Code as opposed to 'mustn't' (though I have yet to get a new copy).

The exception is where there is traffic in the other lanes moving slower than you / the limit. In this case you can - but with suitable care.

I have no issue with undertaking - but in the situation described if the other lanes were clear I would go to lane three and then come back into lane one thereby avoiding the problem you had.
The problem with undertaking is that if they pull over and hit you as you undertake it is likely to cost you on your insurance !

Certainly at work driving a big battenburg beast if I see a car undertake carefully and safely I would ignore it and pay attention to the person in the middle lane - though trying to get through to them is rather frustrating and if stopped almost always results in a 'haven't you got anything else better to do' comment. This is frustrating for me in the extreme as when people say that to me I like to be able to give them a ticket for something just hogging the middle lane is never in itself enough for careless driving.

I would love a more flexible offence (less than WDC) of inconsiderate driving, incorrect lane discipline or following too close .... then I may stop more people for this kind of thing.

Easiest would be - as I have said before here - make like the USA and lets use all the lanes. That way if they do pull over and hit you it's down to them for not making sure it was clear!
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting to note your comments about a suitable offence for driving too close. With the impending use of technology to measure just such an occurance you may get your wish. I guess right now it's down to applying WDC or dangerous driving?
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:14 AM

Online version of the Highway code says:

"Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake."

Also:

"On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.

On a three-lane dual carriageway, you may use the middle lane or the right-hand lane to overtake but return to the middle and then the left-hand lane when it is safe."

I've never seen anything about "it's ok to undertake so long as you don't break the speed limit" - think about it, why on earth would the Highway Code say something is ok as long as you do'nt break the speed limit. That ipmlies some things ARE ok if you break the speed limit! I think it goes without saying (and it is indeed specified in at least one section) that nothing is ok if you are breaking the speed limit (in the Highway Code anyway)

I'm sur ewhen I took my test it talked about lanes of slow moving traffic / left hand filter lanes / and one other scenario I can't remember, but either that reference has been removed or I'm being rubbish today and just can't find it!
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:16 AM

That implies that as much as the police could do you for undertaking, they should equally well pull the hogs for not moving back in ... if only!!!!
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

always undertake on the motorway. reguardless of speed..... aslong as it's safe todo so. wouldnt undertake if it's obvious the guy in the middle lane is there to pass the car 300yards infront.

your not the only one who gets wound up lloyd. the &$*%ers should be took off the road, and as i've said for many years - compulsery driving re-tests every 3-5years for a refresh/new/changed driving rules.
would get some revenue into the government, improve road safety, remove the need for as many speed cams...sorry, SAFETY cams, and get the worst drivers off the road who genuinely dont know how to drive.

edit: i dont know what it is for cars, but apprently on the advanced bike riding test they encourage you to break the limit when overtaking. obvious really - the faster you go the less time you in the lane of danger. not sure where you stand on dual/triple lane 'ways.

Quick Reply: Yet another lane hogger moan.