Muppets The corner of the UK & Ireland where muppetry happens. Totally off topic, word association, useless stuff and general messing about.

Yet another lane hogger moan.

Old 01-02-2008 | 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another lane hogger moan.

I set out for work this morning (first drive in 2008) and I thought to myself, right, new year new approach to my driving, I am always road raging and shouting at other peoples incompetent driving like cutting up on islands, using left lane to turn right, lane hogging, lack of indicating, etc etc.. the list goes on. Off I set and travel all the way to the M6 without the slightest stress; just let the silly idiots overtake at 60+ in the 40mph zone and even let them cut me up on the island.

On the way down the M5 I am traveling at 70mph in the left lane, I can see a car not too far ahead coming onto the motorway but thought to myself he should hit 70 quite quick so I will potter along behind but no, the tw@t comes onto the motorway straight into the middle lane and travels at 50ish (take into consideration there are no other cars in sight for miles!!) WTF is he doing? No one to overtake but straight into the middle lane to f@ck with my staying cool I decided to stay in the left hand lane and go past on the inside.. What happens.. he moves across in front of me so bloody close I braced for impact. I now overtake and look over at him, he gives me the w@nker sign... grrr, makes my blood boil, little old @#&* id like to see him wave the same gesture face to face! Ok, I know I am in the wrong but why oh why do they do it? WTF is going on in their head?
I have now decided it is impossible for me not to rage... not while these people are on the road!
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:37 AM

Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:46 AM

But nowadays, I'm not sure you are *that* in the wrong undertaking providing you are not exceeding the speed limit.
They tend to overlook it ime because it's currently the only way to keep the traffic moving. (because there are so many "hoggers")

Dont quote me on that though
I could be talking balls.
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

A motorway copper responded to a similar thread to this posted on PistonHeads a while back and said that he generally wouldn't pull someone for undertaking unless there was something else about the manoeuvre that was unsafe.

It's down to the individual Dibble's discretion but I'd guess most would let it go if it was obvious that the clown in the middle lane was the real source of the problem.
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you under took him doing the speed limt (or less) your not in the wrong. He sounds like a typical middle lane moron. Try to keep ignoring these idiots.
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:01 AM

I'm not a fan of undertaking but find myself doing it more and more recently due to middle lane morons
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:12 AM

Legally speaking you are in the wrong, regardless of the speed limit, except in certain situations.

However I suspect it is often overlooked so long as you aren't being a pillock.

Just make sure there is clear hard shoulder for you to use if you need to in an emergency (i.e. they pull into the side of you) and be aware that people often don't bother looking before they pull back in because they aren't expecting people to overtake on the inside.
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by j8mie,Jan 2 2008, 06:59 AM
..... He sounds like a typical middle lane moron. Try to keep ignoring these idiots.
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:06 AM

I know the highway code reads something on the line of you can pass on the inside providing you do not exceed the speed limit.
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:12 AM

Ignoring them is so bloody hard, I did somehow keep my cool on the island earlier in the morning, it one of those obvious ones, dual track with island, if you are in the left hand lane stay left giving space on the island for someone going straight over in the right hand lane... there I am RH lane and someone in LH lane, both pull away at the same time and what doe's he do? Leaves me about 2 feet between him and the kerb of the island, I kind of expected it and was ready for it to happen.

When I stay at Zoes I travel from north Birmingham to south, on a normal day with school traffic I can expect between 3 and 10 counts of total incompetence or just being cut-up on purpose, that makes it so difficult to remain calm. I will try though.

Quick Reply: Yet another lane hogger moan.