Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to get in at 165 but never got a second chance at it. Probably tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Sep 2 2008, 10:40 AM
There is a serious lack of confidence in much of anything except cash.
Exactly what I've been feeling.

The lack of direction and conviction is higher then I've ever seen. At least the violence of the financials/oil/dollar previously was rational. Since that trade fell apart it's just mayham. You have to focus on longer term, significant risk is unavoidable near term at this point. Oil drops huge and the markets just sink in their own pity. VIX is up 6% today but still consolidating at relatively 'calm' levels. I still have my DZZ hedge on and expect oil to slide lower, but like you said it does keep capital tied up. Fortunately no one wants any "regular" gold either.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Sep 2 2008, 01:18 PM
Man what a day it was today Satth I hope you did pick up some AAPL @ 166ish since you wanted to get in

Bought more AAPL today.
Had a limit order but it didn't catch, no big deal. I have a feeling there will be more opportunities after what I saw today. Hard to imagine only 7 months ago AAPL traded below 130 for a month isn't it. In today's "terms" that's probably about 142-145.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ExOdy,Sep 2 2008, 10:27 AM
I'm really tired fighting of fighting the market on financials and retail but I truely believe that the market is wrong on it.
I've said it before and with complete confidence I'll say it again-there is nearly half a trillion of write downs and losses still out there in various forms. If some exchanges are built over night and a couple other miracles occur it can be reduced-but not eliminated. Whether these directly contribute to a rise in the SKF proportionally is a different ball game. For a medium term hold, SKF at 113 is the safest buy the market had to offer today IMO. I picked some up just above this level and am not concerned.

Hold on tight though, it could be a rough ride.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Bought UCBH back a month ago when it was $4.25 I made a $2 just today. I know financial stocks aren't hot but United Commercial Bank has been getting a bad rep. They never made any mortgage loans. Just you watch!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by wantone,Sep 2 2008, 09:31 PM
Bought UCBH back a month ago when it was $4.25 I made a $2 just today. I know financial stocks aren't hot but United Commercial Bank has been getting a bad rep. They never made any mortgage loans. Just you watch!
The winners will come out shining, zero doubt about it. Just imagine if you owned a gas station and I told you a year from now the market will still be weak, maybe even weaker, but half your competition for all intents and purposes will be asking you for a job or flipping hamburgers. You'd be disappointing for about 3 milliseconds then you'd go online to see which aston martin you are going to buy. That's only if you aren't one of the ones going down and you know it of course.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sahtt,Sep 2 2008, 07:40 PM
Exactly what I've been feeling.

The lack of direction and conviction is higher then I've ever seen. At least the violence of the financials/oil/dollar previously was rational. Since that trade fell apart it's just mayham. You have to focus on longer term, significant risk is unavoidable near term at this point. Oil drops huge and the markets just sink in their own pity. VIX is up 6% today but still consolidating at relatively 'calm' levels. I still have my DZZ hedge on and expect oil to slide lower, but like you said it does keep capital tied up. Fortunately no one wants any "regular" gold either.
There is a lot of conflicting data and traders are erring on the side of the negative it seems. I'm not impressed by the nearly 400 point reversal in the DOW mid-day. The attitude is still quite bearish. AAPL for example got downgraded by a couple of no-name boutique analyst firms and was added o a conviction buy list of a major firm and the market chose to see only the negative. eBay was also beaten up by a boutique downgrade, perhaps rightly so, I don't know.

I'm sitting on these AAPL October $200 calls and I starting to think my timing is early. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with dec or jan expirations instead right about now. AAPL has been stuck on this 165-175 plateau for a long while now. It will break out soon but the clock is ticking and I'd really like to get moving already.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 AM

Blah another tomato soup day
Old 09-03-2008, 07:51 AM

Started a position in AAPL today. Going to build it from here.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,Sep 3 2008, 02:20 AM
I'm sitting on these AAPL October $200 calls and I starting to think my timing is early. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with dec or jan expirations instead right about now. AAPL has been stuck on this 165-175 plateau for a long while now. It will break out soon but the clock is ticking and I'd really like to get moving already.
From what I have observed this is a rare instance of your crystal ball failing you ( but it's not October yet so who knows). Your YGE puts are making a killing right now.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread