Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Khoa,Aug 27 2008, 02:17 PM
congrats on your gain. i basically have positions in tech, financial, and speculative stocks which i shouldn't have mess with. it's like everything i touch decreases in value. i bought WB on the rebounce at 18 and some change and got slammed.
American financial is going to take a while before it rebounds but I'm guessing when it does it's going to be big pops. Do you hold any AAPL? If not you should buy some. AAPL is doing really well and I believe it's going to be a nice solid stock once again going towards Oct and Dec.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Aug 27 2008, 04:52 PM
Erik quick question. How much will it cost me to buy 100-200 AAPL options?
Somewhere between $500 and $1.8 million plus commissions. You can find option pricing on Yahoo and Google. Just multiply by 100.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Someone asked me about not being able to buy options even though they filled out the option trading agreement. It's something some of you will run into so here is the answer:

You must have a margin account

When you apply for option trading privileges you must also apply to change your cash trading account to a margin account.

In-the-money options require enough available margin to exercise them. Out-of-the-money options don't require available margin but if they go in-the-money your broker will lay an egg and give you a margin call which normally means that unless you sell something to bring your margin back in line or they will do it for you.

Keep that in mind. If you buy in-the-money options you'll only be able to buy as many as your margin allows even if you have enough cash in the account to buy more.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boring energy stocks cratered lately, just like financials did before them. I had a small % of my 401K money in an AIM Energy fund and it got crushed, still in negative territory on the year. So don't be all smiles about recommending boring stocks. They don't always work either! Sure they're coming back but I'm getting out of that fund on this hurricane bounce.

We've had a bear market. If you had ANY sort of diversification you wouldn't be up 30% this year. Yes I'm a touch bitter so at least don't make it sound easy...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Administrator

^ word
Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 PM

It is worthwhile to realize that the market did suffer a large contraction as a whole. Nothing has really escaped over the past year as a broad sector. The average joe is down 20+% and scared $hitless I'm sure.

As great as diversification is, it can also kill your returns if used incorrectly. A better definition for people who actively manage their money would be don't put all your eggs in one basket. Diversification often influences people to put money in dying sectors or stocks they are unfamiliar with 'just because' and ironically feel good while doing it.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, in the active money management business doesn't at least take 50% of a poorly performing sector off the table if that trend is expected to continue.

This is why it's difficult for me to discuss investing with people that aren't at least moderately knowledgeable. Because of my job/education I get asked almost daily but unless you are willing to put in work and research your risk* large losses.

Losses are behind you. It's impossible to get them back by dwelling on them. Write down 5-10 things you learned from these mistakes and stick them on your wall next to your comp if you want but end it there.

If the worst that happens during your investing career is you were down 30% once as a newb, you are in excellent shape. Most people I know, including smart ones, have lost 50% at one point or another whether it be 2000, 87, or the S&L fiasco. Many of these individuals are also fantastic investors and wealthy because of it. Losses as a newbie investor are probably the most valuable thing that can happen to you. As soon as you think you have the hang of it or get overconfident, that's when the real risk appears.

Lastly, here is something to always remind yourself of before you enter a speculative trade-by john mauldin

"Risk is not a knob you turn in order to get higher gains"

Put that one on your wall right next to 'hope is not a strategy'
Old 08-27-2008, 11:34 PM

I'm not touching any energy stocks at all. It's gone up way to high and it's only going to fall big.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 AM

What a nice rally were having
Old 08-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get ready for -300 tomorrow when the media changes its tune.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 AM

Be glad you aren't trading crude -- intraday range $6.42 / bbl. Now down 2.83 based on "strong dollar" while there's a hurricane headed for production platforms in theGulf of Mexico. Stupid stupid market.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread