Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lOOkatme,Aug 21 2008, 04:20 PM
I would stay away from those companies.

Rather than looking at past performance to try to seasonally time something doesn't always work that great.

The reason I say to stay away are these.

- housing market is falling.
- people are not pulling equity from their homes to buy "crap"
- debt is high for individuals
- employers are cutting back jobs...because the decrease in spending from people not being able to pull equity from their house because house prices are falling and they can't.
- interest rates will remain low putting strain on the dollar
- Most of those companies listed are items that a person does not NEED, but rather want and will be the first cut off the list when it comes to shortages of cash on their budgets.

I would look for other oppotunities in this type of environment....commodities do fine when the dollar declines, food, staples, etc.

I would avoid housing, financials, consumer disc..

Places I would speculate on. Cobalt, Coal, Underpriced energy service companies, Alt. energy, maybe a Mastercard or Visa

I think these will do well regardless of a slowdown or speed up in an economy.

But remember.....opinions are like assholes...everyones got one....and thats my opinion
Hey Lookatme

Why are you always so bullish on Oil and commodities IMO Wal-mart isn't just doing business in the USA but it's a world wide company.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpc0531,Aug 21 2008, 04:54 PM
I have been looking at a short term (3 month) period to buy these stocks:

Walmart
Target
Best Buy
Circuit City

Over the last 4 years, all four have been at near yearly lows the end of September / beginning of October. From there they all climb through the christmas season, topping out at the end of December / beginning of January.

Over 4 years, the return over that period of time has been around 10% (sometimes better).

Do you think that the 4 years of data that I have is enough to go on for this season?
Of those, I would pick target. I can see the rotation out of walmart peaking at it's typical levels and target picking right back up from the "bottom" it formed from a little while ago. If you believe oil is going down further, retail is not such a bad choice but definitely beware of the slowing economy. It is up to you if that is already priced in or not.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Andrewca,Aug 21 2008, 05:45 PM
Hey Lookatme

Why are you always so bullish on Oil and commodities IMO Wal-mart isn't just doing business in the USA but it's a world wide company.
demand growth, supply constraints in commodities.

especially when talking about oil, coal, and Uranium.

I say Cobalt because that too will be under supply constraints and demand will want to go through the roof when boeing/airbus make their new planes (cobalt is used in superalloys) and when the automotive industry ramps their lithium ion battery.

We will probably have a shortage of Cobalt....or really high prices. Millions of cars will use these batteries....5-10lbs per battery....market is already tight...do the math.

do your own research..........
Old 08-22-2008, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little knowledge is dangerous. And I know a little about a lot! Cobalt is not likley to be a limiting factor in batteries. At least we'll have a choice about it.

IMO, A123's non-cobalt cathode is the future. If was slightly more mature it'd be a shoe-in for the Chevy Volt, instead of one of the competing batteries. Probably will be used in a model changeover or retrofit for old batteries. For a cobalt tech overview see http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5A.htm
Old 08-22-2008, 06:43 AM

what company makes cobalt
Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 AM

^^^ GM.

Andrew
Old 08-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I show you every day. I post all of my trades in this thread. If you insist on following the advice of people who have to work for a living then you'll do the same.

The formula is simple: Trade options not stock, know not only what is going to happen but when. Only make trades which are low risk and by that I mean never pay up for a security or chase anything up. If you aren't sure you can double your money on a trade don't make it. Don't hope, know. Don't cheerlead, make your money and get out.

It's easy to make huge returns if you are very selective in the trades you make and put your money to work only on sure things.

Hope is not a strategy. Marrying your portfolio is stupid. Wham-bam get in get out. Haing your money in low growth stocks for years at a time ties up capital and has a huge opportunity cost. You can't make quick money because all of your cash is committed. You can margin it but that's just as dumb because you're putting your money at risk twice, once on the margined security and again on the security you bought with the loan.

If you set yourself up to make 15% then you probably will. I can accomplish my goals with only a few trades a quarter. I expect each one to double. I have about 3-5 trades going at a time, I need to reach my goal on 2/3rds of them, I can lose on the other 1/3rd and still make my target.

There you go, that is how I do it. In 2007 I went from $20K to $100K. I took a beating in November where I lost $50K which is to say I was at $150K but lost $50K by not following my own advice and making trades based on hope and arrogance. Live and learn.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 AM

obviously you know what you are doing. im just going to do what you do from now on.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM

nice bump for YGE's reputation today: http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20080822?rpc=44

10 MW probably one powers 2,500 homes, but I think this is a nice step for the solar power industry. Doesn't hurt that China is putting its money where its mouth is by developing a (small) solar power plant. If this is successful, there are huge opportunities for expansion just within China.

Nice to see some good YGE news for a change.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by lOOkatme,Aug 21 2008, 02:55 PM
really...100% a qtr.

thats nice.....then you can turn

$10K into 1 million after taxes in just 8 qtrs or two years?

WOW...please show me
Agreed, nobody is making 100% a qtr for any length of time. Remember a 100% a qtr return means you are taking that much risk (aka lose 100% in a qtr). There's no such thing as a free lunch (unless you have insider info but that'll eventually land you in jail).

I'll give you $100K right now if you can return even 50% a quarter. You can keep the other 50%.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread