Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on an SKF hedge against a bigger trade a week or so ago and my basis was 123. Later I put a stop on it at 109. So you already know where this is going, it stopped out by about 50 cents yesterday and today it's right back up to my basis. Foolish mistake, SKF under 110 after so many days of upwards momentum in the financials was a buy. That's how it goes.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM

Hey Sahtt. What are some good buys?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by sahtt,Aug 12 2008, 11:47 AM
I put on an SKF hedge against a bigger trade a week or so ago and my basis was 123. Later I put a stop on it at 109. So you already know where this is going, it stopped out by about 50 cents yesterday and today it's right back up to my basis. Foolish mistake, SKF under 110 after so many days of upwards momentum in the financials was a buy. That's how it goes.
I did the same but with HANS... put a stop at 21... so it touched 21 briefly and skyrockted for the next 3 days to 27... EFF Me.. 30% gain out the window... or technically 30% back to basis. haha
Old 08-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't Alcoa be raking in money this quarter or next, as nat gas (their cost driver) drops? I don't know how hedged they are on nat gas. It'd delay the benefit of the drop. I'm still a little surprised they haven't had a take-over bid yet. But if the dollar keeps strengthing (and I think it will as oil keeps dropping) the possibility will fade.

I'm not in AA but I burn too many brain cells thinking about it.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Aug 12 2008, 11:55 AM
Hey Sahtt. What are some good buys?
There are huge amount depending on your energy and FX direction opinions.

Any big oil service* firm is a strong longer term buy now. This means you start* your position at these levels, you don't just buy 100 or 1000 shares as your whole position tomorrow and hope* it goes up immediately. Personally I'm buying on the way down assuming oil can stay in the 90's. I am still avoiding refiners until they either get some momentum [favoritism] or a catalyst. They were supposed to go up as oil declined which as not occured and probably will not until we see lower prices and* higher demand due to it. Some natural gas plays are still viable as well but I'm more cautious.

There are a whole slew of more 'random' firms. Any firm that has a great story but was on the wrong side of the dollar trade is a good starting place [if you think it'll continue]. I look for firms I already like, are heavily discounted, benefit from the dollar swing but don't need it, and looking safe technically. I mentioned HXL earlier.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Does anyone in here like WMT, COKE, DELL, V, XOM ?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm scared of retailers. I know WMT should thrive in tough times but I almost got burned by AEO, which was my research choice in Q1 on absolutely stunning fundamentals (even knowing ANF is the big dog in that segment). Then the same-store sales fell apart. Then a VP announced she wasn't renewing her contract. And price hit the floor. Damn glad I just watched it in Q1!

I think XOM is a good buy after oil bottoms. Not sooner. I know you guys rib me for listening to him but Cramer's still calling the oil bottom at $113, maybe only a day or two away, but there's a lot of other guesses and he whiffed the top badly on nat gas.

My cubical neighbor loves DELL but there has to be an easier way to make money than making PC's! One of my other co-workers argued AAPL as a better PC choice and I think he's right. They have bigger margins and much more market share left to grow.

No comment on COKE & V, haven't studied them (Cramer does like V). But why thinking of COKE instead of KO?
Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by PearlwhiteS2k,Aug 12 2008, 07:40 PM
Does anyone in here like WMT, COKE, DELL, V, XOM ?
I like V the best out of those but it is lacking momentum and has side ways traded for the longest time. It's a buy in the high 60's and lower.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 PM

I still don't like retailers or financials. I short them more than I go long although I do both.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Aug 12 2008, 08:05 PM
I'm scared of retailers. I know WMT should thrive in tough times but I almost got burned by AEO, which was my research choice in Q1 on absolutely stunning fundamentals (even knowing ANF is the big dog in that segment). Then the same-store sales fell apart. Then a VP announced she wasn't renewing her contract. And price hit the floor. Damn glad I just watched it in Q1!

I think XOM is a good buy after oil bottoms. Not sooner. I know you guys rib me for listening to him but Cramer's still calling the oil bottom at $113, maybe only a day or two away, but there's a lot of other guesses and he whiffed the top badly on nat gas.

My cubical neighbor loves DELL but there has to be an easier way to make money than making PC's! One of my other co-workers argued AAPL as a better PC choice and I think he's right. They have bigger margins and much more market share left to grow.

No comment on COKE & V, haven't studied them (Cramer does like V). But why thinking of COKE instead of KO?
Hehe I like AAPL too but I don't want to have 67% of my entire portfolio just in AAPL alone again. I freed up some cash today in AAPL while it popped up to 178.40.

Guess I'll buy V when it dips

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread