Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The market is giving everyone a great opportunity to take profits today.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyu626,Aug 6 2008, 09:54 AM
Man.. I don't get this stock. I feel as if no matter what great news occur... it just keeps going down..

I think I'm going to just take my losses and run away... because if it follows the pattern of its previous Earnings call in May.. then it just continues to fall for the next few days..
You bought into a solar stock and it's Chinese. What do you expect? hang in there or trade it. It's been going up 6% and dropping 6% almost every day.

YGE is just gamble money for me and if it goes up big like the other big solar boy I'll be happy if not I'll sell it when I retire.

=)
Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM

haha you said it. Chinese and Solar, what else could you ask for. I admit I did buy SOLF for a pretty good risk/reward scenario about 9 months ago for a 25% gain in about a week, then it ended up doubling before falling off a cliff about to where I bought it. That was enough for me.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:54 AM

Market is once again passing off bad news as no news. Not healthy... we are headed much lower.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:07 AM

HANS is reporting after the close. Anybody think they will tank after earnings? If I think it will tank, does that mean I should sell it all for a loss or just take the further loss and hold out for a few more years.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 AM

was tempted to get into skf yesterday and today had a huge pop already. Anythiughts? Too risky to get in now?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dyu626,Aug 7 2008, 11:07 AM
HANS is reporting after the close. Anybody think they will tank after earnings? If I think it will tank, does that mean I should sell it all for a loss or just take the further loss and hold out for a few more years.
i think u need to have a more clear plan when entering into these positions. is it a trade or a longterm investment? hans had a short pop before the cliff drop.

if u like the fundamentals and the outlook, then hold. if u missed ur window to make money and dont think its coming back around anytime soon, take the loss. if u think there are better trades/investments out there, liquadate and reinvest.

but dont hold onto it, if u dont know the outlook or fundamentals and you are just hoping to recover ur losses.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ExOdy,Aug 7 2008, 11:45 AM
was tempted to get into skf yesterday and today had a huge pop already. Anythiughts? Too risky to get in now?
although its fun to guess the market. i didnt see any real news that would warrant a move in either direction, unless u count 2 very bullish days in a row as a market influencing event (its arguable).

when the crystal ball is foggy, best to just hold onto ur cash. buy time is after bad news and wallstreet is feeling suicidal.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by trainwreck,Aug 7 2008, 10:54 AM
i think u need to have a more clear plan when entering into these positions. is it a trade or a longterm investment? hans had a short pop before the cliff drop.

if u like the fundamentals and the outlook, then hold. if u missed ur window to make money and dont think its coming back around anytime soon, take the loss. if u think there are better trades/investments out there, liquadate and reinvest.

but dont hold onto it, if u dont know the outlook or fundamentals and you are just hoping to recover ur losses.
Originally it was a long term investment, but now that its tanked so much, I figured money can be put to better use elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice trainwreck. Gives me confidence in putting a stop-loss.

From now on I'm putting a stop-loss on all my trades lol, so I don't let them get to this point of double digit losses.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:35 AM

I haven't followed HANS for a long time ever since it's big up days many years ago but why has it fallen out of favor? And since it has, you either get out earlier next time or be prepared for the long term.

I wouldn't put a stop loss on ALL your trades, but that is up to your investment strategy.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread