Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DRYS is very volatile. Have a look at their charts.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDavid,Jul 27 2008, 07:44 PM
Who can explain why DRYS is trading at an incredibly low valuation?
on yahoo they have the next 5 yrs EPS growth at 77%.

which is obviously not correct.....since the company would be a 52 billion in market cap in 5 years.

I just don't see that happening.

so the forward PE is that cheap because of the incorrect growth rate IMO.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The company is currently trading under NAV
Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 PM

RIG is still a solid buy down here. This is not just guessing crude futures like a lot of people seem to be doing lately. 8.72 P/E and as consistent as it gets. Excellent market position and regardless of where oil goes as long as we need it RIG will do well. Look up their locked in contracts and the level of demand for their services. I bought a 1/3 of my position at 131.xx within the last 1-2 weeks.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 PM

What do you guys think about Nvidia (NVDA)? I've been watching it since it fell on July 4th and think it is a great buy right now to hold for the long term. Haven't bought anything yet though.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Administrator

NVDA is a tricky stock. Grpahics companies tend to come and go with great frequency and they only do well when they have a solid competitive edge and there are no headwinds.

NVDA has two problems. First they had to recall a huge number of defective components. That is a major blow to their image and the image of consumers. Second, ATI has taken the lead in GPU technology besting their best in just about every way.

The technical lead shifts back and forth and right now NVDA just got leapfrogged. It may be another 1 to 2 years before they get that lead back. I would expect the stock to flounder until that happens.

I'd say that it's a high risk investment right now with the card stacked against you. It would be purely speculative and should be considered a crap shoot.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, ATI was behind NVDA for a LONG time, though I heard they kept a good slice of the notebook market. NVDA could come back in a month, a year, or never. Hmm, I was a once a big Voodoo (3dfx went bye bye) fan, Hercules had a big share, and even Matrox (another fav) also made a bid for consumers once upon a time.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

^^ Exactly.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 PM

BWLD just reported and I am bringing home the cash tomorrow

Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 AM

Critical levels on a lot of stuff right now. If you are in precious metals or oil specifically. The 63 on the S&P also has some impact. If gold drops another 10 and stays there for a couple hours [currently at 908 on wed 4am] and oil breaches the 120 level and holds, if you are trading it's probably best to take at least 50% off the table if it trades close to the futures market itself like a lot of these guys do. If one does and the other doesn't, analyze your holdings on a one by one basis.

We are also fairly close to the same levels in the UYG/SKF that occured after the nearly identicle runup a couple weeks back that was followed by a sharp decline that this current move started from. If oil and gold break down and we move past the 63 level led by the financials, it could cost you a lot of $ if you are on the wrong side of the trade.

My guess is thin volume today [wed] and not a lot of movement so don't react too quickly. Most of the above pertains to when the big reports come out later in the week.

Like the MER news last night-the markets got the news and the futures more or less held steady after what looked like another bombshell. That was almost a 100% guarantee the financials would rally if it held past the first 30 mins of the trading day. Same theme we've been dealing with for a year now.

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread