Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Just sold my V at $84. Nice $4 gain. Looking back at picking up some, like you said, when it dips... me hope back to $78...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:12 PM

Those still in POT, your short-term upside potential I believe is around $260 and your downside is to $210.

I am a heavy buyer around $215. If we don't see a retracement to the 50 day I would be looking to go short.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to start a small position into V too.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Trimmed my POT position by 50%. Looking to add into POT and start a position in SQM at lower levels next time around.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:23 PM

I wouldn't short oil.

The basic math is pretty simple. I think peak oil is here....and I hate beating this to death. so I am not going to post on it. But oil is going higher. much higher.

everyone here is overtrading in my opinion.

To make lots of money in this game is learning how to value a company....buying when a company is underpriced......and sticking with it through thick and thin.

Like Buffet says...don't worry about market conditions....buy when there is a large margin of safety.

and if you start looking at the data and forming conclusions from the data that is given....then you can identify risks and opportunities.

Most people aren't looking at the data when pertaining to oil. they just look at past events and write it off as another "even't happening. And people always proclaim that this time is different.

Well.....I don't know about you...but to me this time is different. anyway...opinions are opinions.....and the data will show who is right eventually.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by AZDavid,Jun 17 2008, 12:12 PM
Those still in POT, your short-term upside potential I believe is around $260 and your downside is to $210.

I am a heavy buyer around $215. If we don't see a retracement to the 50 day I would be looking to go short.
I wouldn't have sold POT....just hold it and ride the train up.

next qtr's EPS estimates are way higher....it may already be running to the next qtr heights...even before earnings.

have seen it before.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by lOOkatme,Jun 17 2008, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't have sold POT....just hold it and ride the train up.

next qtr's EPS estimates are way higher....it may already be running to the next qtr heights...even before earnings.

have seen it before.
No stock is going to continually go up 3%+ a day. We need a retracement for healthy trading. Anything above $260 at this point isn't sustainable before earnings. There is nothing wrong with the company.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 PM

RBS issues global stock and credit crash alert

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...18/cnrbs118.xml

Anyone else been watching mortgage rates soar from 5.8% to 6.4% in a couple weeks? Banks are STILL tightening their lending practices.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by lOOkatme,Jun 17 2008, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't short oil.

The basic math is pretty simple. I think peak oil is here....and I hate beating this to death. so I am not going to post on it. But oil is going higher. much higher.

everyone here is overtrading in my opinion.

To make lots of money in this game is learning how to value a company....buying when a company is underpriced......and sticking with it through thick and thin.

Like Buffet says...don't worry about market conditions....buy when there is a large margin of safety.

and if you start looking at the data and forming conclusions from the data that is given....then you can identify risks and opportunities.

Most people aren't looking at the data when pertaining to oil. they just look at past events and write it off as another "even't happening. And people always proclaim that this time is different.

Well.....I don't know about you...but to me this time is different. anyway...opinions are opinions.....and the data will show who is right eventually.
You know I'm with you on this one.

With Mexico and Venezuela in decline, and the appearance of what looks like a Russian peak early this year, importing countries are in for some rough times, with no light at the end of that tunnel. The SPR will only make up for the difference for a short while. Even if the Saudi's are able to boost by 500,000/day, that's a drop in the bucket.

Hope we're both wrong on this, lOOkatme. I really do. But I fear we're not.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:09 AM

I was reading an article on PBR.

now they don't think they can even develop the oil on one of their large finds.

even if the price of oil goes up...the material costs will go up as well making the project unaffordable.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/81782-reas...il?source=yahoo

It seems clear to us that if oil were to rise much higher than $150 a barrel, its impact on the world economy would be severe. Probably, growth would short-circuit.

On the other hand, if oil prices fell back under $100 (as most drivers currently pray), everyone might breathe a sign of relief. But that relief would be short-lived.

Cheap oil now would only discourage new oil projects from coming online. It would put serious alternative energy development on hold. In the long run, energy would become even scarcer and more expensive.

When I was at the energy conference in Rio, a couple of weeks ago, one place we visited was the Petrobras facility. Petrobras, as you should know by now, is a Brazilian oil producer. In fact, it is the fastest growing major oil producer in the world, and the 2nd largest after Exxon Mobil, in terms of market capitalization.

Petrobras (NYSE:PBR) made headlines in recent months when it announced potential production of tens of billions of barrels of oil from deposits located five miles under the ocean, and under a further mile or so of heavy salt that constitutes the ocean floor. Wall Street analysts were less optimistic. Some suggested Petrobras would be lucky to extract one billion barrels of oil. Bringing this oil to the surface represents an enormous challenge from an engineering and geological standpoint.

The morning we visited Petrobras, Bloomberg reported that the company plans to spend more than

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread